Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: How much we spend on our hobby

I was spending waaaaaaaaaaaay too much on machines and fabrics. I have put myself on a "starvation diet". I decided that I need to use up what I have... which may be an impossible dream since I have so much. I am glad I have not been buying and dont plan to, with the problems in the Middle East and gas predicted to go sky high...I am lying low.

It would be interesting to know who conducted the survey, what questions they asked and what audience they targeted to get their results.

I have read that quilting is a 3 billion dollar industry in the USA alone. HMMM!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    I was spending waaaaaaaaaaaay too much on machines and fabrics. I have put myself on a "starvation diet". I decided that I need to use up what I have... which may be an impossible dream since I have so much. I am glad I have not been buying and dont plan to, with the problems in the Middle East and gas predicted to go sky high...I am lying low.
    ME TOO....I bet I could sew for the next 30 years and still not use up my stash....nah...I would need to add backings, bindings, backgrounds...something.. :lol:

I wish I could spend as much on fabric as I do on my horse. Horse owners contribute something like 60 billion dollars a year to our economy.

I have a long way to go before I catch up to his 3 motorcycles and 2 antique cars plus all his electronics!!! I don't feel one bit guilty spending money on fabric and I share alot with other quilting family members.

PS: He doesn't ever give me a hard time either, he knows I shop carefully!

This is another reason that stores--WalMart--that have done away with their fabric departments have made a bad decision. Somehow they don't get the economics of it! froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I really find that hard to believe. I'm not sure what greens fees are now even on public courses, but when I was playing 20 years ago it was expensive. I also know how much golf clubs, golf ball, boats, fishing poles and reels, shotguns and rifles, cartridges, etc, etc, etc. for all the other hobbies our sons, husbands, SILs, GSs, all put into their hobbies. Then you add on the cabin and lodge fees, food, gasoline, special trailers, it goes on and on. I would have to see their figures in black and white. I bet a man wrote that article!
    One of those who has all that= bunches of quilters!

Quote Originally Posted by pippa
    Got the latest Quiltmania mag. today. In it there is an article on the Houston International Quilt festival which quotes from the 2010 Quilting in America survey and says that there are 21.3 million Americans "playing with bits of fabric" and that in 2009 they spent 3600 million dollars on fabrics, books, sewing machines and notions!

Here comes the stinger: "This is much, much more than their golfing, hunting and fishing partners spend put together"

I always thought that his hobby (photography/vintage cameras) was more expensive than mine. I will have to find another justification LOL
    Pippa
    Ought to send that to Walmart and tell them we want our fabric departments back!!! Just a thought.

I know for a fact that my husband spends way more on golfing than I spend on quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Wow, really? Bullets cost WAY more than fabric....we just must buy way more!!!!
    Fabric never has been used as a weapon of war, so I say, spend on!!!!
    Is it even possible, to stage a conflict, with everyone wearing quilts? (Maybe at a really good sale....)

Quote Originally Posted by mjwaggoner040
    Quote Originally Posted by pippa
    Got the latest Quiltmania mag. today. In it there is an article on the Houston International Quilt festival which quotes from the 2010 Quilting in America survey and says that there are 21.3 million Americans "playing with bits of fabric" and that in 2009 they spent 3600 million dollars on fabrics, books, sewing machines and notions!

Here comes the stinger: "This is much, much more than their golfing, hunting and fishing partners spend put together"

I always thought that his hobby (photography/vintage cameras) was more expensive than mine. I will have to find another justification LOL
    Pippa
    When you calculate it out though it is 169 per person per year--that's less than 15 dollars per month so it really is not that much when you consider how much joy you get making and giving these gifts of love.
    Granted, I spend more than $170 a year now, but I could sew for many years without buying more----I love quilting and love the gifts I can give to others! How do you put a price on that?

someone should tell Walmart!

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    HIDE that magazine! The traitors, putting information like that in print! LOL
    You said it. lol.

my dh has 26 motorcycles in various stages--4 competition motorcycles and a Harley---I think he won!!!---plus he plays table tennis and the paddles are very expensive---ps he's 75 and still competing and winning---at motorcycle trials--and table tennis

I quilt and my husband does wood working. his tools cost big bucks. Come to think about it his wood cost big bucks.
    My projects take longer to make than his. I win!!!! I should buy more to keep up with him.

That article was written by a man as a paid political announcement so go figure. LOL

Blog Entries
    Just goes to show that there are more quilters than any other hobby. Woot woot! Our quilting touches more lives and touches them longer than any of the above mentioned hobbies. What a good investment in society we have! Spread the love!

I never thought much about how much I spent. But, my husband called the first quilt I made the "million dollar blanket". I guess he kept track of my spending more than I did.

Glad someone did the math on this subject. $169.00 a year isn't alot of money and it is cheaper than a "shrink" that's for sure. Plus fulfilling for the soul.

What do they know!

Blog Entries
    My FIL who is usually a penny pincher regarding material things, paid $1000. for a putter. I don't think it putts any better than a $50 one. I know he pays $150for a green fee and uses a cart. This used to be 3 or 4 times a week. He doesn't get to play as much since his wife has been ill and needs someone with her all of the time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4