Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how much would you pay >

how much would you pay

how much would you pay

Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

I had every Daisy Kingdom line they made.....still have some of them! I've been at this for 48 years!!

:D[/quote]

I loved DK even though I had boys...and DIana Marcum was great as well! Miss some of those great designs!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 PM

those are both great lines...I have very few of them left anymore....all used up.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Banned

Thanks for all of your input! I am a bit picky about how fabric is represented and will do my best to make sure everyone knows the quality they are getting!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Thanks for all of your input! I am a bit picky about how fabric is represented and will do my best to make sure everyone knows the quality they are getting!

Generally, I need to know the manufacturer if I'm going to buy yardage, so as long as that's listed people can use their own judgement about pricing.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Definitely - When I started posting, I would list the fabric line, the pattern#, and all that, but I noticed not many people were doing it that way, so I've pretty much gotten away from listing all the details unless someone asks for more info.

Good luck on your selling adventure. I try and list items on the weekends - it's alot of work to keep up, but so far so good. Nothing lost in the mail - everything has arrived at it's destination (mostly in tact..lol)...only one or two postal gorillas manhandling a couple of them, but they still arrived in one piece.

I had a hard time judging the correct postage amount, so I usually ended up having to cover the shortage, but it's become easier each week.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Banned

I had a hard time judging the correct postage amount, so I usually ended up having to cover the shortage, but it's become easier each week.[/quote]

I ship for a living it seems, so that should not be an issue....
I have tons and have pix of most already so will be listing soon!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 PM

I would be interested in 4 of your vests.
The Halloween with cat-7 adult
The patchwork Star button ADULT
Musical adult 2 if you have them
Winter village adult.
My husband has a paypal acct but he hit the sack early and I don't know how to go nto paypal. Will pm you tomrrow to see if you have these vests or to set-up payment, Pat P
Old 01-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Administrator

i'm pleased to see that we're discussing this in such a pleasant and purely conversational manner. :-)

my only objection is to the allegation that the original retail source is an irrefutable indication of its relative quality or value. i've been at this for a while, too, and have seen more than sufficient proof otherwise. only the fabric itself is an accurate indicator.

those who sell here, or who are planning to, should keep a few things in mind:

1. our classifieds section was never intended to function as a commercial selling site. it never will be. it's primary purpose is for members to help each other make ends meet by exchanging excess fabric, supplies and tools. that exchange can involve either money or trade for items of similar value, but the principals remain the same in either case.

2. if the intent is to set up a permanent store front, we'd prefer you do so elsewhere so that our classifieds section is not overtaken by professional resellers and thus crowd out those members who use it only occassionally for its intended purpose.

3. for the most part, we don't interfere with pricing choices. there have been a very few extreme cases in which the seller was obviously price-gouging or deliberately misrepresenting the fabrics offered. in such cases, we will step in and do what little we can to protect our members. an example of that would be someone selling fabrics known to be available only at discount prices but referring to them as "LQS fabrics" or mixing them with LQS fabs and pricing all of them at LQS levels.

buyers should also consider a few things when shopping:

1. the fact that somebody is selling a fabric for a price higher than it would cost "in person" does not automatically indicate a lack of ethics on the part of the seller. most fabrics are available to us through a variety of retail sources. the prices for specific fabric vary widely depending upon where we buy them and how much we buy. i can find a fab for $2.99 every day from one source, and see the same fab for $3.99 - $7.99 in other places. for that reason, it's unfair to assume the seller is trying to take advantage just because their price is higher than what we'd pay if we bought it from one of our own typical sources. the seller may, in fact, be honestly pricing it to cover her/his own expenses. and don't forget that those expenses may include the taxes and/or shipping costs the seller paid when buying those fabs.

2. in a lot of cases, the fabrics we sell to each other come with "value added". they might already be prewashed and pressed. they may be measured more generously to ensure that 1-yard sold does in fact provide a minimum of 36 usable inches. they are likely to have already been used in a project, which amounts to "quality testing/verification." for some buyers, those little extras might justify a slight markup in price over the lowest price from a retail source.

the point of this admittedly long essay is that we should not jump to conclusions. rather, we should look at each ad and offering. evaluate each based on its own merits and value to you as the buyer.

if sellers are dishonest, we'll figure it out pretty quickly and they'll find few or no buyers here.

if buyers are thoughtful and educate themselves beforehand, they'll be able to shop with confidence.

:-)
Old 01-24-2011, 03:33 AM

As a seller, I tend to start my sale at $5/yd because I originally paid $10/yd for my fabric. I think a 50% discount is fair to begin. I then lower the prices for the pieces that are slower to move. This helps me to clean off the shelf and the buyer to get quality fabric at a discounted price. Another thing is that a majority of my sales usually end up in a trade. I think that is what makes it fun for me.

As a buyer, I send a pm to ask what the manufacturer of the fabric is if I am unsure. Ultimately, it is the buyer's responsibility to confirm that the fabric is the quality they prefer.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by quiltergirl80
Ultimately, it is the buyer's responsibility to confirm that the fabric is the quality they prefer.
very true. no matter what we're shopping for, when we're in "consumer mode" we often forget our own responsibilities within the experience. thanks for the reminder. :-)

please don't think i'm arguing against that truth, though, if i add my note of appreciation to those who tell us upfront which manufacturer made the fabrics and other items being offered.

i admit it. i'm lazy and appreciate anything that saves me time and effort on research. :lol: