Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to negotiate a good Deal on a new machine - Brother Dreamweaver? Babylock? >

How to negotiate a good Deal on a new machine - Brother Dreamweaver? Babylock?

How to negotiate a good Deal on a new machine - Brother Dreamweaver? Babylock?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Default How to negotiate a good Deal on a new machine - Brother Dreamweaver? Babylock?

OK...I have a couple questions for you that have purchased a new machine recently. I am debating between the Brother Dreamweaver 3000 and the Babylock Crescendo (I think that is the equivalent)

Is this like buying a car? Don't believe what they offer first or is the pretty much the offer they say? Also do other shops differ much?

Is is possible to get extra's from the store? What would I ask for?

I also want to know more about the differences between Babylock & Brother....I think the Babylock is usually higher, but why?
Old 05-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

It's up to the dealer to set the profit margin for each machine. Weak sales, dealer needs high price, business going strong, better price.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Shop around on the internet & call dealers to get an idea of the prices and packages. Read people's reviews to see what extras the machine came with.
Personally, I'd go w the Brother Dreamweaver. I've read only great things about it.
Friends who have a Baby Lock aren't thrilled w it; too many issues that fail to be corrected.
Good luck ~
Old 05-20-2014, 04:36 PM

when I bought my new machine I called a couple of dealers to see what they would do for me. Then with that knowledge I went to the dealer I wanted to buy from and asked for my extras to be thrown into the deal. I didn't ask for a reduced price but got the new walking foot with interchangeable feet and 20% off the table and another foot. I believe everyone expects to negotiate now days and you get what you ask for. All they can say is no so go for everything. I don't know anything about the machine you're thinking of getting so I'm no help there. I only have Vikings and I love my new one.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 PM

I guess I hate this part of buying...I just want a good price and be done with it! So much work to figure out a good price.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:09 PM

My dealer is more willing/able to work with you if you don't finance. I think she has more leeway with the money if you pay in full.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:30 PM

Brother makes Babylock. Babylock dealers will tell you that Babylock is better than Brother. I spoke with people at Brother and they said that is not true. They seem to make twins of many models, like car companies do. Babylock seems to be more expensive, so shop around and compare the models with Brother ones.

By shopping around between dealers, I saved $1000 on my Brother from one dealer to another. One was having a big sale and then I got 5 years of maintenance free. Great deal! Getting a few years of maintenance thrown in is great when negotiating, as well as, different feet, lessons, or other supplies. Don't be afraid to ask. Paying with cash should save you 4-5% right off the top.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:37 PM

I haven't had difficulties with my BL Cresendo though i think I paid too much for it. If buying today, I would consider the BL Airia which is just a crescendo without the laser light (hardly use it) and without the sensor pen (haven't found a use for it yet). The only thing I don't like about this machine is changing to needle plate which is a pain. The lighting is great. The quarter inch foot is very accurate. The stitches look good but not as good as my mom's 1950 singer.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:48 PM

I have three Babylocks, love them all. I bought the Crescendo last fall (traded in my Symphony which I loved!) as I wanted the super lighting, 11.25 throat and I love the laser light and use it often. I have used the sensor pen, but ya, I could live without it. I think if you do things other than quilting it might be handier?
Anyway, I have had not trouble whatsoever with my BLs at all. I don't know what the diff is between them and Brother machines, pretty much the same I think.
I'd say buy the machine that has the features you want, the best price you can get, and most of all, the one that has the dealer that will be there to help you and service your machine. My dealer is awesome!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:23 PM

The babylock is higher because they spend more on education and advertising, the brother will have the my custom stitch feature, babylock will not, other than that it is the only difference between the 2. The deal you get is usually dependent on the dealer. If you visit a few in your local region you will know what the going rate is for your location, it varies greatly dependent on where you live. I would go with whatever has a better deal