Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often do you change your blades? >

How often do you change your blades?

How often do you change your blades?

Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Try turning the blade around and adding a drop of oil on it. Just make sure that it's only a small drop and you let it set for awhile then run it though scrap material.

Also, clean your mat well. I have a very old Dritz (10 years) and as long as I keep it clean (I don't use the lines on the mat). I wipe it down with the dishcloth when I do dishes......
I wasn't certain if the first suggestion would work so I hesitated to say anything. I'm glad to see my thinking was on track anyway.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by amma
It may be that when you are starting to cut, you are bumping the blade into the ruler. Or pushing the blade into the ruler instead of alongside of it. This will cause knicks in the blade and the skipped cuts you are describing :D:D:D
I know I do that sometimes and I have to change blades quite often.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 AM

Might have figured out the problem. I may have been cutting too slow. I had to cut the selvages off my binding strips and when I went a little slower it wouldn't cut all the way, but if I did it in one fast swipe it would make a clean cut. Weird because I thought when I started that I was cutting a little slower and had no problems
Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 AM

I agree with clem55......the June Tailor mats make a big difference in your cutting. Also keep your rotary cutter closed when not in use. Do not, I repeat DO NOT, cut towards you and change your blade at the first sign that you are having trouble cutting your fabric. I found out the hard way that rotary cutters are meant to be changed.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Adding to the advice on changing your blade often - apart from being more dangerous when getting blunt, an old blade will shorten the life of your cutting mat by making wider cuts that won't self-heal as well. And new blades are cheaper than a new mat! I couldn't say how often I change, but as soon as the cut 'feels' less clean and always before doing stack n whack.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by hheelleenn
You know, after I bought more refills for mine I thought the same thing. I feel like I replace it almost with every new quilt and by time I finish it's skipping etc. I've thought I'd try the sharpener but then someone mentioned a "Martelli cutter" Anyone use one? Is there really a difference?
I have a Martelli cutter. They are wonderful!! I rarely have to change the blade. The first 2 years I had the cutter I used Olfa blades in it and had to change the blades occasionally. I now use the Martelli blades, yes they are more expensive, however I'm not sure the last time I changed the blade and I know that I have 18 quilts and 10 aprons on this blade and it is still good to go. It is ergonomic, I can cut sitting down, which I used to do all the time. Your hand is over the blade so you don't need as much pressure to cut. I think it has saved me lots of money in blades. 2 years ago I bought a 25 pack of blades for $100 something. I split them between myself and 4 other friends, so 5 blades each. I still have 3. 2 years guys!!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Where I use to work gaskets were cut when needed. The hard surface mats were used so the expensive blades would last longer.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 AM

What kind of rotary cutter do you have? If it is an Olfa and, if with all you've done, the blade still wobbles, try turning the nut on the center post over and tighten it up the other way. Also, I would make sure you have only one blade in there.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:49 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Where I use to work gaskets were cut when needed. The hard surface mats were used so the expensive blades would last longer.
I'm sorry but I don't understand the relevance of this? :shock:

In quilting, a blade costs a tenth of a mat - at least here in the UK it does. Before I knew any better, I'd persevere for ages with a blunt blade and I have a couple of permanently scarred mats here as a testament. Now I change blade often and my mats stay pristine. Besides the fact, the force you exert when trying to cut with a blunt blade means you are more likely to slip and injure yourself. Personally I'd rather spend a bit more and keep all my fingers. :-D

I have no experience of Martelli though, perhaps they're tougher than my Olfas.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:57 PM

I have the same trouble sometimes and finally bought a blade sharpener. it does help in a pinch. I am left handed and can imagine cutting away from me like they tell you to do. Good luck!