Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often do you change your blades? >

How often do you change your blades?

How often do you change your blades?

Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 PM

guess that leaves me in the dust. I live in Texas. would lso need the cutter. thank you
Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 PM

Ok, I lied. They come in a 50 pack for $189. I wonder how many i really have left......
they also have a 5 pack for 22.99 a 2 pack for 9.99
http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...egory_Code=BLA

You can buy their cutters from them at this site.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 PM

I have several different types of rotary cutters, but Martelli is by far my favorite, especially having arthritis. I don't have to change blades very often with it either.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 PM

By the way, they are manufactured right here in Pensacola; they have a nice quilting store. Very convenient:D
Old 12-10-2010, 02:14 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
I also change mine when it just seems like I am having a lot of trouble. However, I have the hard June Taylor mat and have used it for several years and I actually think it is my biggest problem. It has a very rough surface now and the fabric is getting into the grooves and not cutting. I switched to a softer mat and things seem to be going better. I think mats need to be replaced even if they are slf healing or what ever.
Mats should also be washed every now and then with a mild soap and warm (NOT hot) water solution, scrubbed gently with a soft brush to get the fibres out of the cuts. Especially if you're naughty like me and rotary cut wadding. :D Dry flat out of the sun - laid on a towel on the bathroom floor after I've cleaned them it in the bath works for me. Mine are 36" x 24". Smaller ones you could do in the kitchen sink. :-D
Old 12-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Banned

If you are working too hard to cut the fabric, it's time to change. I am always amazed at how much less pressure I have to put on a new blade!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:34 AM

I was having the same problem for a while and then I noticed my blade was a little loose, not enough to even see. Then I tried tightening the screw holding the blade in and, wow the difference. Like cutting with a brand new blade. Boy, do I feel silly. Just had a screw loose, but then my family has been saying that for years!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tweezy50
I was having the same problem for a while and then I noticed my blade was a little loose, not enough to even see. Then I tried tightening the screw holding the blade in and, wow the difference. Like cutting with a brand new blade. Boy, do I feel silly. Just had a screw loose, but then my family has been saying that for years!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I give mine (screw I mean) a little twist every day when I first pick it up, nearly second nature now, along with thumbing the cover over between EVERY cut. I'm amazed how often I see so-called professional quilters, on You Tube for example, waving their cutter around with the blade OUT. :shock: Soooo dangerous! :-(
Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
I'm sorry but I don't understand the relevance of this? :shock:
The self healing mats let the blade sink into the mat, actually cutting the mat. The hard surface mats the blades glide on top of the mat, not cutting into it. The blades didn't get dull as fast thus saving the company money and the hard mats were cheaper then the self healing ones. I got the mats whenever new ones were bought. Bluing would get on the mats and they were replaced. The bluing cleaned off easly but in true company sense, it cost more in time and money for an employee to clean the mats then to replace with new. None of the guys wanted them, they all had enough to cover every work surface they had in their shops at home. I miss working, sometimes.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks Bella - I've never seen hard mats for sale to quilters though maybe you get them there in the States and not here? Why is the standard self healers then I wonder?