Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how often do you clean your sewing room? >

how often do you clean your sewing room?

how often do you clean your sewing room?

Old 04-24-2016, 05:56 AM

Whenever the spirit moves me....which isn't very often
Old 04-24-2016, 05:58 AM

I tidy up each day, when I'm finished sewing for the day but give it a good clean when my project is done & definitely BEFORE I start another one. Once golf season starts, I don't sew very much compared to what I do during our LONG, SNOWY winters here in Northern Ontario. My 2 rooms are never too catastrophic but it does happen, rarely. I do vacuum every 2-3 days also. I confess though, I am a neat freak & just closing the door so I don't see messy just does not work for me. Maybe I should join "neat freaks anonymous". LOL
Old 04-24-2016, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I too was unaware of this.
I also am a member of this club.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:31 AM

I have a theory. Good housekeeping and organization is a special gift that some people have. The rest of us have to learn how to be good at it, and we don't stick to it very long. My home is neat and very clean, but still I am in a quandary some days as to how to keep things organized in my sewing room and my office room especially. Seems as if I just go through the motions somedays, and hope it all works, never really sure though. I guess this doesn't really answer your question though -----
Old 04-24-2016, 06:40 AM

I love all these responses! Makes me feel like I have kindred souls out there! I also just found some totes of things I had forgotten I purchased! Thank goodness I have a friend coming to stay or I never would have! Incidentally, we are going to The HMQS so I will most likely have even more stuff to misplace!
Old 04-24-2016, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
To be honest, usually the only time I put everything back where it belongs is every other Thursday night. I know the cleaning service will be in early the next day to thoroughly clean my sewing room.
That's the discipline I use - everything back in it's place before the cleaners come.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
We're supposed to clean???

My thoughts exactly! Actually, though, my studio space tends to be the most organized, cleanest room in the house because I don't let it get out of hand. Right now, My bin is totally full to overflowing and it is driving me crazy. I definitely need to pick up the pace on some projects I had in mind. I try to keep all my threads in clear plastic gelatto containers (double win! gelatto first, then quilting), all my fabric & tools in one bin, plus a reusable shopping bag for current handwork. I buy batting by the roll, so it's in a separate closet in the basement. I clean and oil my machine every 1-2 days and dust my sewing table about the same. So that just leaves vacuuming and dusting the blinds which get done if somebody else does them for me -- about every 2-3 weeks, so grateful for the Cleaning Fairy in my life.

Now, as for the entire upstairs, that's a whole 'nother story. Once a quarter if I'm lucky. I just don't see the point. A little dirt's supposed to be good for you, right?
Old 04-24-2016, 08:18 AM

"Actually, though, my studio space tends to be the most organized, cleanest room in the house because I don't let it get out of hand." Me, too, Bree123. I dust and sweep (hard wood floor) and organize on-going projects every Friday. I also clean and oil both machines on that day. That room also tends to be the drop zone for everything going upstairs so if I don't deal with it regularly, I find all the surfaces covered with non-quilting things.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I have no carpet in my house. So I use the Swiffer and a very slightly damp mop. I have a ceiling fans so all of them get dusted when I change sheets, every 4-5 days. It's a quick reminder. I do it before the sheets come off. That way any dust that may fall onto the sheets will go straight into the laundry. But my sewing room really needs some at least organization.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:26 AM

Not as often as I should. When I can't find something I go on a scavenger hunt.