Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How old is too old.... >

How old is too old....

How old is too old....

Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 AM

Gerald Roy gave a presentation in May at our Quilt guild. He recommended not touching old quilts. More valuable just as they are, for several reasons. If we quilt or repair, you have just dated it to the present time. He has hundreds of tops that were never quilted and that's part of their charm. I probably didn't explain it correctly, but the gist is, enjoy it as it is.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

if they are still in good shape---i don't believe age has anything to do with it- i work with someone who brought me a tumbling block quilt top her great-great grandmother made in 1883---she wanted it machine quilted- just to keep it together---there were a couple small places which were frayed a little bit- but the fabric although thin- was in good shape=
i carefully fixed the small frayed places- bought a nice backing- cotton batting and quilted it- it came out so great! she is thrilled- to the point of deciding i didn't charge enough and it paying me more than i asked- and has told me there will be a couple more.
age does not matter- the shape it's in determines how well it will hold up to finishing-
Old 08-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Ck thanks for the comment... I think if I decide to quilt it I will hand quilt it since it was hand pieced... but I am glad your co worker loves her quilt...

Janice thanks for your comment too... I have thought about just putting it in acid free tissue and an acid free box and storing it in a dry place and leaving it be... its just so pretty... I am not sure what the design is called but its squares... there is one in the center with one fabric then the row around the center is a different fabric but row 2 is all the same fabric and so on and so on.... its very striking....
Old 08-13-2011, 02:05 PM

I have hand quilted several vintage tops for people, makes them more usable if that is what you want.
I think the pattern you are describing is "Trip around the World."

Good for you for choosing hand quilting for this old top. It's what your grandmother would have done.

Welcome to the QB, your kitty looks like one I used to have.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:20 PM

I don't have an answer either. I bought some fabric at a yard sale recently and some of it was so brittle that it almost fell apart in my hands. On the other hand, I have a quilt that my MIL mother made I don't know how many years ago and it seems to be ok...My MIL died several years ago in her 80's, so I don't know when her mom made that quilt...... It is a Sunbonnet Sue and the dresses are all from fabric of her childhood friends, along with their names ! it is awesome.

On another note, if you ever want to get rid of that baby that is your avatar, keep me in mind!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:29 PM

I am so glad you are going to hand quilt this top of yours. That is exactly what it needs.

If you'd like more info on old quilts...send me a PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Oopsy Daisy!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:09 PM

Honeynga thanks for the comment... The avatar pic is of my Kitty Prissy, she died about 5 years ago at 22. You would have loved her because she was a lap kitty and a bed kitty... she always wanted to get under the covers with you... she slept next to me for 12 years.... would love to find another one just like her....

Rose thank you for your comments and I will pm you with any questions I have on old quilts.... thank you for your help!!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Just a quick thought...

If you have a block that is precious that you really love, why not frame it? Might be a bit expensive but it would be really cool, preserved and out on display
Old 08-14-2011, 02:00 PM

hopetoquilt I have thought about buying the 12 x 12 scrapbook shadowbox frames and doing just that... I have a lot of my grand mother and great grandmothers sewing notions and thought about just creating a shadow box of them.