Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How old is your oldest unfinished quilt? >

How old is your oldest unfinished quilt?

How old is your oldest unfinished quilt?

Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 AM

Mine was started in 1979. I pieced it off and on while newly married, then pregnant (twice!), then through the time I had small children. I didn't know anything then but handquilting, and since it was king-sized, I couldn't get the gumption to start. Plus, I really didn't like it much by that time, so I put it away. The story will have a happy ending, though. I pulled it out a couple of months ago, bought backing, and took it to a LAQ. She will have it done for me next month. I'm still not crazy about it, but I decided to honor that younger me who, during a very busy time of her life, managed to squeeze in the making of it.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:29 AM

My first GFG was started in 1966 and is still unfinished. I may make it into a pillow if I can find it again.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:40 AM

Thank you everyone for posting---it doesn't make feel so bad. My oldest is only about 10 years old---but then I have only been quilting for 10 years. I keep thinking of digging it out and work on it---but then I shudder wondering if I could ever match up the very inconsistent 1/4 inch seam. I do have a knitted afghan that I started abt 47 years ago that isn't finished---I ran out of yarn and could never find anymore of the yarn that I was using.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:21 AM

Thirty years and I am sure happy to find I am not alone.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:53 AM

About 8 years
Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 AM

I only have one from 2 years ago. I took a class and did not finish going. There was only one other woman there that made the quilt many times and it was not fun going...rush, rush, rush and the blocks were not easy and you had to do them mostly at home. the blocks are all different sizes. I have one more block left and just not into it. One of these days I will sew the blocks together.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 AM

One I started in 1973 for my nephew. He now has 2 girls of his own. Hmmmm.....wonder when this one will ever get done. LOL
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

None of my own, but I have a couple of vintage tops I plan to quilt from the 1930's or 1940's, and some vintage blocks to put together. I don't call them my UFO's because I haven't started working on them yet.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM

I just finished my very oldest that was started in 1970. It is a scrappy Monkey Wrench and will hang in our Guild's Quilt Show in October. When I cleaned out some closets last winter, I found all of the pieces cut out with a few blocks done. I was going to tip it all in the garbage and then realized that the fabrics were all from my family home and were scraps from 4-H projects, family curtains, aprons and school and church dresses and I just couldn't dump all that out. I finished the blocks, made two tops (had enough to make my sister one too and she cried when she realized what it was) and machine quilted them. Now we both have "A Hug from Home".
Old 09-29-2013, 02:04 PM

About 40 years old. I made a pieced block into an applique block - which was really stupid - but I did not know any better. The top was finished but not quilted. Then my BFF was selling her long arm and called and asked if I had any tops that I wanted quilted and to hurry over to her house because the lady was coming to get the long arm the next day. She had a roll of batting and guess I found some backings somewhere. So, she hurriedly quilted about 3 of my tops with pantos. This one is so wonky that I never trimmed off the backing/batting and have not put the binding on it. Why bother, as I am sure that the first time it is washed that the applique will come apart. It does have some of my maternity clothes fabric scraps in it.