Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How old is your oldest unfinished quilt? >

How old is your oldest unfinished quilt?

How old is your oldest unfinished quilt?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:11 AM

I made an Irish Chain for my niece's 16th birthday- it is half hand quilted. She will be 39 on her next birthday and has 2 boys of her own. No pink and green girly quilts for them I guess. I really should finish it.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:45 AM

1983! I started a Storm at Sea variation (old school -trace around plastic template, cut out each individually, then hand-piece). Dropped it for a while as we had small children AND moved to another state. SEVEN years later, my father was terminally ill in VA hospital, I was SO clever - I brought quilt to work on when visiting hours were not in effect & I needed something to do. I was on top of my form, I was caring for dying parent & tending to UFO. Dad died 3 1/2 months later(a blessing after so much suffering), & after funeral, I picked up SAS quilt to finish. As a teacher, I had several pens in my purse while in hospital, and, yes, they were all RED! I now have a UFO, traced in RED INK, and can't decide to proceed (what if ink bleeds?), or pitch (lots of sentimental value) - so still in box in 2013. I'm sure Dad's still looking down and laughing his a..ttitude off!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 AM

40 years. I had no idea what I was doing. Thought it was beautiful. Black and pink fan quilt. I put it away while looking for the perfect backing. Wanted black fabric with little pink roses. Found it a couple of years ago, bought enough for the back. Finally ran across the top again.......what was I thinking! Much prettier in my mind than in "person." I doubt that I'll ever finish it unless I put a plain black backing on it. Saving the black with pink roses for another project. Example of how our tastes change over the years. Actually, for my first quilt, didn't do too bad a job....but pink lace......really.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 AM

I have some that are between 10 and 15 years old. My daughter, who quilts on her DSM, and does a wonderful job asked me today to send her a quilt top every now and then and she will quilt them FREE for me if I will let her use them for advertising....What an offer. I am so excited! Maybe I will get some quilts done now. I have at least 16 tops to date and probably some that I have forgotten about.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:08 AM

I may not be the world's greatest quilter, but one thing about me - "Never empty handed to the kitchen go" and "Don't start what you cannot finish." My two favorite Momisms passed down from generation to generation. I do not have an unfinished quilt. I am finishing up one now and then will start on another and another and another - plans in the works for three quilts. And............I know what pattern I am using and what colors I am using..........that's what I do when I am sewing and listening to audiobooks! I am not bragging, believe me, but I just can't (through years of it being pounded into me) start something without finishing something. So, if you will all excuse me, I am going to cut some sashing, border and binding for today. Edie
Old 10-01-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I was scrounging around in one of those rarely visited places in my sewing room, and found a box that had a quilt top I had made back in 1989. I was so surprised as I thought I had no unfinished quilts. It made me wonder how many others have these buried "treasures" and just how old are they?
1973 period
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
Thirty years and I am sure happy to find I am not alone.
I am so glad there is someone with one older than mine. Mine is about 27
Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 AM

A dresden wall hanging from 2010 and all it needs is the binding and the sleeve attached to the back. I know it is there, but there always seems to be something else that must be done. As Tartan said, my FMQ skills are getting better and so projects are getting completed quicker. Caught up? Nah, never gonna' happen.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

I have cheater I was going to give to my son and his wife. They were expecting my granddaughter and I wasn't so much in the mood for putting one together. Purchased it anyway, it just needed the binding. I asked my sister who lived nearby to see if they liked quilts or afghans. My now ex-DIL said she hated quilts. I still have the cheater waiting for the binding. it's very girly so it will go to a little lady. I ended up getting them a gift card. I am going to put the binding on this week since it's been awhile. And it will be ready for a little lady.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 AM

My DMIL hand pieced DWR quilt top in the 1940's. She said I could have it. When her kids were cleaning out the house, they found it in a drawer tied up in a blue ribbon. That was sometime inthe 90's. It is still packed away along with vintage fabric in a special suitcase. I want to hand quilt it, but never got the confidence to do it, maybe next year.

I started three quilts around 1996 which still aren't finished. I have moved six times since then, was a full time student for four years, and spent four months in a rehab center for acute lung disease ('08-'09). I am just happy that I finally have a quilting room again and am able and have time to quilt. I am doing better this year finishing up tops and sending them to a LAQ. I have also done some on my Pfaff.