Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to prepare a quilt top >

how to prepare a quilt top

how to prepare a quilt top

Old 09-02-2011, 06:15 PM

I rescued a top at a garage sale (double size) being used to cover a chair at a garage sale. When I asked how much (planning an out of my reach answer)she said---that old thing, how's a dollar? I couldn't get a dollar out of my purse fast enough and leave!!!! So, she's now washed, and line dried, now what do I do? I know the batting and the backing, do I press it---starch it? I'm going to give a try at hand quilting, large stitches as it's got a few stains; already looking rustic. It's "churn dash" I think, in browns and tans. I'm not at home (caring for great grand daughters 2 & 7 at Ft. Drum, NY as Mom recoups from surgery. Daddy is defending our freedom in Afghanistan) and will post a pic when I return but ---I have absolutely NO CLUE and there are so many of you "great quilters" here...I just know I can count on you,.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

I have hand quilted 4 old tops. Press the best you can. Some of my tops would not lay flat. I found that the quilting did a lot to make the quilt lay flat. Do your quilt sandwich and I started in the center with the quilting. Hope this helps:)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Google Goddess

have fun working on the old quilt

tell him thanks for protecting our country

Originally Posted by mrsjdt
I rescued a top at a garage sale (double size) being used to cover a chair at a garage sale. When I asked how much (planning an out of my reach answer)she said---that old thing, how's a dollar? I couldn't get a dollar out of my purse fast enough and leave!!!! So, she's now washed, and line dried, now what do I do? I know the batting and the backing, do I press it---starch it? I'm going to give a try at hand quilting, large stitches as it's got a few stains; already looking rustic. It's "churn dash" I think, in browns and tans. I'm not at home (caring for great grand daughters 2 & 7 at Ft. Drum, NY as Mom recoups from surgery. Daddy is defending our freedom in Afghanistan) and will post a pic when I return but ---I have absolutely NO CLUE and there are so many of you "great quilters" here...I just know I can count on you,.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:31 PM

You could use the loafty type batting instead of the warm and natural. The loafty is puffy and your quilt top would not show that it is not flat...warm and natural is very flat and would show the quilt top's unevenness more so.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Have fun with this project... sounds like you can't lose!!
And please tell your family thanks for protecting our freedom...
Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Yes, press, no starch if you plan to hand quilt.
My personal preference is always cotton or wool batting, but do what works for you.

Jan in VA
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

Good luck. I'm sure you will do fine.