Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt. Ideas please >

How to quilt. Ideas please

How to quilt. Ideas please

Old 10-29-2016, 07:12 AM

Default How to quilt. Ideas please

Any ideas how to quilt this top? I'm not great at stitch in the ditch, more out of the ditch. I can do a reasonable meander and trailing vines. I'm happy to draw a pattern on the top but am not always successful at staying on the lines. Thanks for any ideas, I'm totally stumped.[ATTACH=CONFIG]561251[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 10-29-2016, 07:13 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561252[/ATTACH]

Full size
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 10-29-2016, 08:08 AM

This modern looking quilt calls for modern quilting. I can see quilting squiggly lines from top to bottom or breaking the quilting up by quilting squiggly lines one way thru some portions of the top, then changing directions of the squiggly lines for another portion. You might get some good ideas looking up "modern quilting designs" on the net
Old 10-29-2016, 08:31 AM

Thanks Bobbielinks. I had thought of doing that with a walking foot and a wide zig zag but couldn't work out how to divide the sections. Don't really want to just do wiggly lines all over. I'll try googling.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:31 AM

Wow! that is a really pretty quilt, I agree with Bobbielinks as it looks modern it needs modern quilting, maybe some kind of a line design would be nice, go to Leah Days site she has a lot of designs there, maybe you could find something that looks good to you..can't wait to see it all done.. good luck..
Old 10-29-2016, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Pretty top! I would put on my walking foot and SITD the sashing first to keep everything nice and straight. After that I would decide what to quilt in the squares. I might do a different FMQ design in each square if I was feeling ambitious or I might do an orange peel design in each square because I can do those freehand. A little one in the small squares and I would devide the big rectangles with my Hera marker into squares and orange peel those as well.[ATTACH=CONFIG]561272[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 10-29-2016, 09:29 AM

Tartan thanks for that idea, I like the orange peel design and would not have thought to section the large rectangles. I'm not really good at FMQ but what I have realised is that when I first do it all I see are the mistakes, once it's done and washed they never seem to look quite so bad!
Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Quilt lady, I certainly want modern. The design was an adaption of a quilt I saw on QB and the board member happily gave me some tips. The fabric was chosen by my daughter to make a quilt on the retreat she and my son and their families gave me for my 60th birthday. That was 18 months ago. The top was made at the retreat and I sandwiched it about 6 months ago. I'm determined this is not going to still be a UFO in 2017.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 AM

I like the idea of orange peels (but not on the edges, more like a four petaled flower).....in the squares and rectangles and then straight line quilting (possibly two parallel lines) going each way in the sashings (but not through the squares or rectangles but "behind" them)...That's what I would do, but I think you can do a lot of different things and still have a great quilt!
Old 10-29-2016, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

It's a wonderful quilt! You said you don't want wiggly lines all over, but have you seen some of the designs that can be done with wavy lines and a walking foot? I will link some possibilities. Another alternative would be to do straight lines, but in a pattern -- for example, two lines 1/2" apart, then two more a couple of inches over. I will see if I can find some photo's of straight line patterns too.
https://uk.pinterest.com/explore/walking-foot-quilting/
http://betteroffthread.com/2013/03/0...ting-tutorial/
http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/m...lting-designs/

http://www.honeybearlane.com/2011/12...-boutique.html
http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2011/...t-pattern.html