Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt this quilt >

How to quilt this quilt

How to quilt this quilt

Old 12-09-2023, 06:31 PM

Default How to quilt this quilt

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I've made 2 quilts so far. This one was originally long arm quilted but I do my own quilting so I am a bit stumped on how to proceed with quilting this one. This is a throw rug size (1.25m x 1.8m)(49 inches x 71 inches).
The problem is that I was going to quilt straight across the quilt (the strips are 50mm wide). The bobbin thread with match the backing.
a) Should I use black top thread on the black and change the top thread when I get to the yellow/reds and back to black again for the other side (not cutting the bobbin thread when I change top threads). OR b) should I quilt across the black part then up the angle between the black and the colour and turn the quilt and quilt the other side of the black strip back to the edge again? And do the same with a yellow thread on the yellow/red part.

With a) I would have to thread in each of the little cut threads. There are 33 strips!! But the back would be neater.
With b) I am worried about turning the quilt all the time. I've read that you are supposed to quilt one way all the time to get the quilting even.

I thought about invisible thread (which I read about on here) but this is for DH and he will use it every might in winter and it will be regularly washed so I want it to last really well and not have thread ends poking into him.

I would really like some opinions on how to proceed. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails firequilt.jpg  
Old 12-09-2023, 06:46 PM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

So pretty! Monofilament thread is very thin and not “pokey” though it used to be.
Either way if you’re going to do lines however far apart you might like, I would suggest doing all the black then all the color. When you get to the color do a few really small stitches to secure the thread then lift your foot and jump over the color starting again with tiny securing stitches and go to the edge. Repeat then go back and do the same in the colored area. The other way is to leave a long tail at each jump and knot and bury them.
Honestly I would start with the color section because it’s best to work from the middle out.
Or use a grey thread to blend with it all so you don’t have to worry about jumping and tying off.

Last edited by Yiaya; 12-09-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:33 PM

Thanks. I thought turning the quilt might not be a good idea.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:06 AM

Consider, perhaps, straight line quilting vertically using black thread throughout?
Old 12-10-2023, 04:57 AM

I'm a proponent for clear 100% polyester thread. I use Gutermann color 111. It handles well. I match my bobbin thread to the backing.
bkay
Old 12-10-2023, 12:31 PM

Mkotch - I think that will detract from the fire.
I can't change the top threads through one line - I tested it and the tension goes haywire.

Bkay I've read the monofillament thread and you use polyester thread (not nylon) but there Guterman doesn't make a clear one do they?
Old 12-10-2023, 06:25 PM

I quilted one with a bright front and a dark batik backing and changed colors with each section, using matching thread top and bottom. The result was a very cool-looking design on the back.

I personally wouldn’t trust just a dark bobbin thread, since it might make dark dots in places on the top where you don’t want to see them.

Why not do the main part of the fire in some “fiery” shade, both top and bottom, and then quilt the background and sparks in something dark?

hugs, charlotte
Old 12-11-2023, 02:33 AM

That's yet another option!
Old 12-11-2023, 05:58 AM

you could do random wavy lines, from top to bottom, in a medium thread color -- something that would show up equally on the dark and the light. I'm thinking it could look like the heat rising from your fire.

Neat quilt!
Old 12-11-2023, 06:54 PM

I was going to suggest a horizontal serpentine stitch to simulate the way heat can create a shimmer, but Cathy’s idea is better!