Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to--rag quilt? >

How to--rag quilt?

How to--rag quilt?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
Definitely get the spring loaded scissors. I did one before I bought them and believe me your hands will ache and cramp before you are done.
What a great thinki he wants to do.

I was given Fiskars Rag Snips. I do have somewhat sever arthritis in my hands. I could literally do fringing ona twin quilt in 1 1/2 days, and that is with lots of breaks, meals, sleeping, and other activities. No pain with the
Rag Snips.

ali
Old 03-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Marge L. View Post
My son wanted to know how large a seam when making a rag quilt. I couldn't help him since I have never made one. Also, blocks can be any size, I presume and he was wondering if they could be rectangles and set as you would bricks. He likes to sew and was given a stack of jeans. He thought he would try making a rag quilt with them. Thanks everyone. I told him I'd find out here. Marge L.
Here is a Webpage-http://sites.google.com/site/compact...y-quilt-series-of the sewing construction and even the commercial laundromat front loading machines actually washing/drying of one of my rag quilts (plus photos of the completed quilt)). The photos on this post are more recent examples demonstrating the different seam allowances I used on different ragged quilts. The first one, The Four Point Scrappy Stars Quilt, I used a scant 1/4 seam. The others (The Bicycle Rag Quilt & The Musical Notes Quilt) used all 1 inch allowances. And all quilts pictured used 100% cotton Flannel. I am in the process of completing another rag quilt using denim. And my blocks are all various sizes depending on need and how much fabric there is.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails 4-point-star-practice-quiltlet.jpg   musical-notes-medallion-ragged-edges-quilt.jpg   musical-notes-medallion-ragged-quilt-detailed-view.jpg  

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 03-24-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:19 PM

I have made many of these for new babies - they are great and not too expensive. For baby quilts, I use three layers of flannel and sew and 'x' on them. I do agree with snipping in stages - it can be quite the project. My first one was a denim jeans one and my son still has it for a car quilt - the stories that quilt could probably tell if it could talk! I bound the first one, but now I just sew around the entire outside edge and snip it too. I still have a container of jeans to cut up and it is on my "to do" list - at least if they care cut up they will take up less room!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Power Poster

I work with denim a lot....I use a 1/2 inch seam and rectangles will work. Best thing for cutting the seams are spring loaded snips. Mine are Fiskars. Make sure to use a good quality thread, denim is heavy and the seams get a little more stress than with lighter weight fabrics.

Love your quilts bicyclehobo....specially that raggy star.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:38 AM

At the quilt show this year there were a few rag quilts that were made in the shapes of animals, turtles, ect. This used different shape blocks. So yes, rectangles could be used, I even say one done with triangles. I guess anything that you can put together and be able to cut the seam afterwards would work. I've seen them made with velvet, jeans and flannel and fleece even though the fleece and velvet does ravel it does curl some. Good luck to your son and post pics to let us know what he comes up with.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 AM

Great site with lots of useful information. Thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Love your quilts bicyclehobo....specially that raggy star.
Thank you! The Raggy Star is actually a test version miniature size that the actual one will be made in the near future of similar weight & type (100% Cotton Flannel) fabrics.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

More rag quilt questions:

Do you double sew your seams? Especially denim? Or would that be 'too much of a good thing'?

I have a fairly good stack of 5 inch squares of denim cut -

Would just one layer of denim with a layer of heavy flannel be adequate?

Is it better to leave the outside edge raw or should it be bound somehow?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Do not hesitate to buy these: http://www.sewforless.com/item/Rag_Q..._625_inch/2706 even if you only make one rag dishrag. !! Fanmore makes these too. They are the best quality rag scissors you can buy and cut much better then the Fiskars. I can snip a king size rag quilt and get bored instead tired. Google and find the best price. One tip I do for rag quilts is to sew a double seam. This way if I snip into or too close to the first seam (and I will) the second seam is there. I use a wide twin needle to sew the seam. I have the Go rag die and it's great for a fast quilt.

Two layers of denim or denim and flannel for the backing are enough, no batting needed. I used denim and flannel and had the denim and flannel side on front and back.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 05-03-2012 at 03:02 PM.