Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to recognize the “Quilt Police”.... >

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

Old 04-13-2018, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
LOL I'm sure I'll figure something out to do with them! Just not right now, I'm too busy laughing at my foolishness. You would have thought I would have clicked in after the first few? Nope!
I say arrange them in a unique way and call it a new block design!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-13-2018, 08:28 AM
mac

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Susan, do not worry about it. Any manner you use to finish a quilt is just fine. If anyone complains.....just send them to me. I have a Rottweiler who will explain it.
Boston1954: You are too funny. I really cracked up when I read your comment.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:32 AM

I recycle and it's surprising how many self-appointed quilt police think it is somehow second rate to use recycled quilts that "won't last." Thanks for the info, but my grandmother's 100 year old quilt is holding up surprisingly well considering she used old worn out clothes from her 12 children and never bought a piece of "designer" quilt fabric in her whole life. I follow my dreams and my Conscience!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-13-2018, 09:02 AM
mac

I have to say that most of the Quilt Police I have encountered are teachers who are teaching a certain way to do something. I suppose it is in their nature to police over what you are doing.

All other people, who are not teachers, I consider that they are just giving an opinion, which you can take or leave. Sometimes I find an 'aha' moment in what they are saying and learn something. Other times I figure that they are just giving off gas fumes and I need to hold my breath. Gas bags come with all hobbies.

Having said that, I am reminded of a Quilt Policeman in my family -- my brother -- who has never made a quilt in his life. After presenting him with a king-sized quilt that I machine quilted together in my garage in the middle of winter and finally finishing his Christmas present at 3am that Christmas morning, he said, "why would you cut a big piece of material into little pieces of material and sew them all back together again? Seems crazy to me." Yes, it was really irritating to hear that after I had worked so hard on the quilt, but I have to say, he loved that quilt and babied it to keep it in good condition. After about 25 years of constant use, it sort of disintegrated. When I heard that he needed another quilt, I lovingly told him that Walmart was having a sale on quilts.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
I don't know if it's my personality (which is very strong LOL) or my attitude (which is don't mess with me), but I have never encountered any of those comments, personally. I've certainly heard them, read them, etc. but never directed at me.

To the newbies - nothing you create is wrong. Yes, there will be mistakes - mastering a perfect 1/4 inch seam takes practice! Not cutting off your points - still happens to the best of us! I have been quilting for 15+ years and just recently finished paper piecing over 1000 flying geese. I trimmed them all (with a rotary cutter) on the Seam line LOL ... not the 1/4 inch line. There will be no points on these geese - maybe flying blocks???

Have patience with yourself and enjoy your craft - it's supposed to be fun!
Silly quilter, you did not cut all the points off of flying geese, you made a clever pie pan quilt! Hugs.
It is never a mistake, except in your head. To the rest of the world it is a design decision!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-13-2018, 12:54 PM

I would just like to say, that I have more than my share of “incidents” with my quilting due to having abcsence seizures at unexpected times. I have accidentally cut holes in a quilt, seam ripped into the fabric, caught the fabric on the machine needle, and a zillion other occurrences while making my quilts and other sewing projects. At first I was ashamed of the quality of my quilts and only gave them to my DD’s who love me and love them for the “mom hug” that they were. One day, not long after I joined this board, one of the wonderful people here wrote “It is not a mistake, it is a design decision”. Wow, the clouds parted, the sun came into my soul, and the doubt in the quality of my work vanished! Now when it happens, I see it as a personal challenge to make it better, not another mistake.
If It is possible, when an error occurs, if I can leave it alone until finished, I look for a way to improve it with my repair.
If I am not sure my colors, values, etc. are not working, I take a picture, walk away, and the next day I look at the picture first. Usually I can see how to make it work with additions, or just leave it alone and tell the obnoxious little voice in my head to “go fly”!
I am thankful every day that I found all of you wonderful obcessed “fabric mincers”, my DH coined that phrase one day and I love it coming from a man who has No hobbies. (I had no idea that some people can just sit and watch a TV in their free time. Lol.)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM

I admire people who can do a nice job of finishing non-mitered corners! I can’t, so I do miter mine (they aren’t all that great either, but at least the batting isn’t leaking out. LOL)
Old 04-13-2018, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
I’m torn between two comments I received.
1) Oh look, how unique, I never would have thought to put those colors together.
2) You’ve only been quilting a couple of years; you shouldn’t even think of entering a quilt into a competition, even if it is just a county fair.
I have said,”I would not have thought to combine those colors, but I love the idea” but only if it is a pleasant surprise, and then ask for help with my colors choice because obviously they have a better eye for it than I do.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:27 PM

How about this one when a quilt picture is posted in its completion?

“I personally wouldn’t put those colors together, but it’s your quilt.”

Thanks for the insult and for following it up with the obvious.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
I am reading about the "Quilt Police" and turned around and found my "Quilt Police" inspecting my quilting supplies. Just had to share them with you, Thelma is on the right and Louise is on the left, they are sisters we adopted from Purrfect Pals.
That is not “inspecting” that is ‘properly pressing them” and the hair is just their design decision. Lol.