Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to remove freezer paper >

How to remove freezer paper

How to remove freezer paper

Old 08-11-2019, 05:12 PM

Default How to remove freezer paper

I placed freezer paper under my quilt block for the purpose of stabilizing the block as I machine stitched a blanket stitch around the various shapes. (I didn’t use it in creating the shapes, however.) What is the best way to remove the paper from the back of the block? I don’t want to pull on the blanket stitches. The only thing I can think of is running a wet Q-tip along the stitching to dampen the paper, but this seems kind of messy. Does anyone have an easier method I might try? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-11-2019, 05:34 PM

Could you run your needle or seam ripper carefully next to the stitching on the back, just enough to pierce the freezer paper and carefully pull it away?
Old 08-11-2019, 05:49 PM

It’s certainly worth a try! I’ll have to see how that works. Sounds less messy than dampening the paper. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2019, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

What a chore you have.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

doesn't freezer paper come off if ironed again? It's been so long since I've used it.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 AM

I think Thimblebug's suggestion is the best one in this case. The problem here is getting off the paper once you've sewn over it, not just the "normal" amount of effort it can take to remove it. Once you get an area to put your finger under you can probably run it around to loosen it and may be able to carefully tear away the paper.

While I do use parchment paper for quilting designs, I've never sewn through freezer paper, it is so thick! In the future I would probably make sure the freezer paper doesn't go into the seam lines. There are other alternatives too, like wash away iron-on stabilizers.

And just as a reminder because I'm big on these things, change the needle before your next project. Sewing through paper does not make them happy!
Old 08-12-2019, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Scoring along the needle holes with a pin may help. It is still going to be a chore. I have pieced on telephone pages and even that took a loooong time to remove. If I ever want to do another, I am looking into Ricky Tim’s Totally Stable that you can leave in. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2019, 04:00 PM

I think you would be wasting your time with the water - that paper has a coating that is pretty resistant to water penetration. I think you may have to try to trim it as close to the stitching as possible then use tweezers to removing the small pieces - you may still pull the stitches. I hope you didn't do too many blocks this way, best of luck. Let us know how it comes out.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:56 PM

You might want to consider spraying the block with water and the freezer paper should come right off. This is the method I used.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:36 AM
Power Poster

I am "seeing" a lot of stitches that the paper is caught in. Is that correct?

I think I would trim the paper as close as possible to the stitching lines - and leave it in. The alternative that I see is the rather tedious chore of picking it with cutting it up with cuticle scissors and picking it out with tweezers.