Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How should I do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Linda71
    How would you do the borders? The pattern says to put on sides and then the top and bottom borders. The blocks are done in the reverse, top and bottom pieces and then sides. I am thinking that I like the look of a long piece across the top.

I don't want to miter them because I want to keep the block- like look. What would you do? Opinions please.
    One of my favorite things about quilting is there are no rules. You can do whatever you like!

By doing the sides first, the top and bottom are a continuous line. The human eye likes to follow a horizontal line better than a vertical one, so it makes the quilt more pleasing to look at.

Bev
    That is a really good looking quilt!
    Put sides or top and bottom on first. To me it makes no difference.

Blog Entries
    How would you do the borders? The pattern says to put on sides and then the top and bottom borders. The blocks are done in the reverse, top and bottom pieces and then sides. I am thinking that I like the look of a long piece across the top.

I don't want to miter them because I want to keep the block- like look. What would you do? Opinions please.
    For rectangular quilts, the length is usually greater than the width. Say that I have a quilt, whose finished center is 40" x 60" and I want the finished border size to be 5" wide. (I am using finished sizes below. Add " to all sizes to add the seam allowances.)

Add Side Borders First
    ==============
    The length of my side border strips will be the center's length, 60" long.

If I add the side borders first, then I am added 5" to both sides of the finished quilt's width, so I now have

width = 40 + (2 x 5) = 50

So my top and bottom borders will be 50" long.

Add Top & Bottom Borders First
    ====================
    The length of my top and bottom border strips will be the center's width, 40" long.

If I add the top and bottom borders first, then I am added 5" to each, which adds 10" to the finished quilt's length, so I now have

length = 60 + (2 x 5) = 70

So my side borders will be 70" long.

Finished Quilt
    =========
    In both cases the finished quilt will be 50" x 70", because we added 5" to all sides. If you sew on the side borders first, then the length of your borders will be

side border length: 60"
    top/bottom border length: 50"
    Total length of fabric = 2x60 + 2x50 = 220"

If you sew on the top & bottom borders first, then the length of your borders will be

sides border length: 70"
    top/bottom border length: 40"
    Total length of fabric = 2x70 + 2x40 = 220"

I am using the same total amount of fabric, but when I sew on the top & side borders first, then I must deal with a longer length for the side borders. So, if you are not piecing long borders, then it is a little more economical to sew on the side borders first, because you can purchase a shorter length of fabric. If you make small quilts and cut the borders across the WOF (Width of Fabric), then this is not an issue.

Another option would be to use cornerstones in your border.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    How about using corner blocks in your border - that way it really won't make a difference. Use the stripe for the border (or whatever you were planning on) and the red for the corner blocks. That will tie it in to the overall quilt look.
    Here is a picture of the pattern. I thought I was almost done but thanks to you I am wondering about countinuing the small red squares at the corners of all the squares. Thanks for the idea.
    I love your quilt!

I usually do the sides first, then the top and bottom. I try not to piece the borders any more than I have to. Therefore, if I leave the shortest borders (top and bottom) till last, the side borders don't have to be as long.

you do the sides 1st because the quilt is usually LONGER, than wide & usually that means less piecing of the border. if you do the top & bottom your sides will have to be that much LONGER ex. 10"border X T+B=20'' longer than your longest measurement! I like te least amount of seams in borders!

My quilt teacher(Billie Lauder) told us that you do the side FIRST then the top & bottom. The reason for this is for the LAQ. This way when they are quilting they can make sure that the seams across the top & bottom stay straight and even. It also puts less stress on the side seams, since they are encased by the top & bottom.

I usually do the sides first - that way, I don't have to find another 6" -10+" in length if I were to add on the top borders as well before doing the sides. I always do the shortest measurement for each length and that means less joining or corner squares to make up the length.

There are no rules that say you have to follow the pattern to the letter. It's your quilt, go for it! :D

I think the reason most people put the side borders on first is they go just to the end edges of the quilt (less fabric in border). Then add the top and bottom.

Just wanted to say that I LOVE your quilt. I love all things western and you did a great job of selecting fabrics. The stripe really make a dramatic statement.

I don't really think it matters much how you do the boarders.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    It's your quilt; do it the way you want to.
    Amen!

i have always been told to do the sides first then the top, but i think which way you like is the way you can do it

I have always done the top and bottom first, then the sides because it just looks better to me. It "feels" like the sides are holding the quilt together. That being said, though, I can see why putting the top and bottom last is better for a wall hanging.
    Most of the time, though I would rather put corner blocks in or miter the corners.
    I am so glad there aren't any hard rules in this hobby!!

I usually do the side borders and then the top and bottom. Don't really know why - just kind of seems to work best for me. Love your quilt!

Blog Entries
    I like to do the sides first; especially if I can get the sides out of one cut, no piecing. I believe that's why it's suggested. If your using the same fabric as your sashing then I would preview both ways to see what looks best in the corners.

Funny you should ask this...I just caught a Fons and Portter show this weekend and she mentioned....You should put the side borders on first and then the top and bottom. Because the sides are longer already...this will help block the quilt.

I really like this quilt. What a great pattern for a themed fabric. Will be saving this one. Thanks for sharing.

:thumbup:

I use the side borders first then do the long border across the top and end of the quilt. Can you just pin the borders on and see what you like the best for this pattern? Maybe another quilt you can do something different. Good Luck.

For what it's worth, I was taught that by adding the top and bottom borders last, the eye travels across the entire width of the pattern and gets the 'full effect'. Supposedly, if done the other way, the eye stops at the border seam and travels downward and does not give as 'framed' a look as the other way.

Blog Entries
    I do the long sides first and then the short ones - whichever lets me do the border w/o piecing if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower126
    I usually do the sides and then the top and bottoms. No reason, that's just what I do.
    I do the same. the sides are longer and easier to do with top and bottom finishing off the quilt.

generally the sides are your longest edges. When doing the top and bottom you add enough fabric to meet the outer edges and they are not as long as the sides. If you are cutting from the length of your fabric, you will need less yardage. At least that is how I understand the reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2