Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How or should I quilt the borders >

How or should I quilt the borders

How or should I quilt the borders

Old 05-20-2019, 03:12 PM

Default How or should I quilt the borders

Would like to get this quilted and bound and in the mail next week. My quilting isn't greatest. And the batting can have 10" between the lines.
So how do I quilt it? I'd thought to meander a bit and add words.... brush..... floss..... rinse .... spit.... and tooth characters..... It's a wedding gift for a pair of dentists....

And go!
Attached Thumbnails img_0662.jpg   img_0656.jpg  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

i like your words idea.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:22 PM

You could do meandering and curl it in places as you do when you wind floss around your fingers. Do a small sampling of writing but I don't think it will show up well unless you go over it a few times. I would also stitch in the ditch to make the pieces pop. You say your stitching isn't the greatest but you could use your walking foot or a ruler if necessary. I think it will turn out pretty classy. Your choice of fabrics is great.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:52 AM

I may need more coffee this morning, but it appears that the edges are already bound. If this is true then how will the material lay flat to quilt it???
Old 05-21-2019, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I may need more coffee this morning, but it appears that the edges are already bound. If this is true then how will the material lay flat to quilt it???
The edges are zigzagged and the quilt has been spray basted. As long as I am careful the fabric will be fine. I use my hands to gently pull the fabric taut. I do the same thing when I've birthed a quilt. Since I don't quilt really close it usually works out. And if it doesn't, I can remove the pleats and requilt. It won't be perfect but will be done and looks quite alright.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I glue my quilts to sandwich them and can put the binding on before I quilt. The last quilt I made, I quilted the borders, put on the binding, and then quilted the center. Got a blue ribbon.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I usually do a large stipple or just meander. I would never quilt every 10", no matter what the package says. I would be afraid after washings and dryings it would end up bunching up. Just me.

Very pretty quilt.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:49 AM

To be honest, I'm rather flummoxed about quilting dental words like "spit" on such a pretty landscape quilt, with trees, a mountain, a bird.... Why not a simple meander, or gentle loops and swirls, or loopy hearts?
Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
To be honest, I'm rather flummoxed about quilting dental words like "spit" on such a pretty landscape quilt, with trees, a mountain, a bird.... Why not a simple meander, or gentle loops and swirls, or loopy hearts?
The couple are pediatric dentists hence the words. They are not overly obvious. I tried very hard to make them flowy like the gently curling strands between them. The are "Easter eggs" for them to find when they cuddle on the couch.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:43 PM
Power Poster

Your quilt is pretty, and sounds great the way you describe it. They will love it.