Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How should I quilt this?

Blog Entries

How should I quilt this?

A dear friend of mine lost his mother a few months ago. His mom was a quilter, this ( queen size) quilt was the one she was working on. She had it sandwiched and basted for quilting.
    Live been asked to finish it up- quilt and bind it for his dad to keep.
    they know Iím a longarm quilter. Iíve had it loaded for 2weeks now and just am not sure how to proceed.
    any suggestions? I really need to move forward on this- time is rushing by & I have a king size commission I need to get busy on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

That's beautiful. I love all the different fabrics. Have you thought about echoing the petals to emphasize her stitching?
    Or maybe in the ditch around the center?

I'd do one long loop in each of the petals, and then either stipple the white triangles or echo quilt the curved lines inside them.

Look at the petals of this sunflower that Eleanor Burns did, to see an example of the long loop:

https://www.facebook.com/quiltinaday/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    In I like the long loop idea, the Eleanor Burns sunflower is perfect. I even like the tendrils around the flowers. I didn’t want to do really dense quilting on it and I think this is perfect. Thank you!
    I’m thinking about doing a facing on it instead of binding since there will be all those curves around the edges.
    I will share again when I get it finished.
    Now that I have inspiration I need to get in there & get started.

Power Poster
    ​Since you have a longarm, I would remove the basting and load it to see if some of the fullness would come out. I then might quilt the white background to let the flowers pop up to disguise any fullness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Since you have a longarm, I would remove the basting and load it to see if some of the fullness would come out. I then might quilt the white background to let the flowers pop up to disguise any fullness.
    thank you for the advice Tartan. I wasn’t sure about the fullness issue. The person who basted it for her didn’t do a great job & I already spent a couple hours fixing a couple places - should have gone ahead & taken it all out then. I was ( reluctant) to do that because she trimmed everything really close to the edges. I sewed ( leaders) to each end to give me some room to work- the edges have about 1/2” of backing & less batting. I don’t know why she trimmed it so close before it was quilted. I know the person who basted it did this, the ( owner) passed away before she got it back- & her husband wasn’t sure why they gave him a bunch of cut away batting.

I hope the quilting goes well for you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'm not a long armer, but what if you just did an echo around all the elements? It would be pretty, wouldn't take forever (I don't think) and the family would be happy with it. Or were you thinking E to E?

Watson

Power Poster
    You might watch Episode 39 Best of both worlds- Quilting out fullness on YouTube by Linda Taylor. Maybe she has some ideas on tackling that quilt. I wish you luck and I am sure the family will be grateful for whatever you can do to rescue it.

That is a gorgeous pattern. I too was thinking echoing everything. Be sure to post a final pic when you are done.

Blog Entries
    I agree to getting rid of the fullness before quilting it. That was my first impression. The second thing is to get the commission done first, but then I don't know how much time is involved in loading and unloading a long arm. Please share the finished quilt! Love the colors!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Strange happenings. My mom made one just like this but with no center patch and I got it after many years storage, unquilted. I just stitched around each 'peel' over the whole quilt. It turned out great and the stitching is close enough together to prevent batting droop or migration. Mom's was all turned edge, hand appliqued.

Tartan, that YouTube is exactly what I watched this morning. The loopy design she used would look nice on this quilt.
    Lori

Since it is such a memorial quilt for the family … what if you did sort of a triangle feather style design in the black spaces? I agree with echoing with the flowers.