Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Start A Local Quilting Club - Not the Usual Question >

How to Start A Local Quilting Club - Not the Usual Question

How to Start A Local Quilting Club - Not the Usual Question

Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
I would love to participate in a local quilting club and I'm not asking about how to get one together. That's the easy part. What I'd like to know is what to do at the first meeting?
What about subsequent meetings?
I'm a quilter, but certainly not advanced and maybe not even intermediate so I'm not the one to be running things!
And, I am a very undiciplined quilter. I make art quilts and lap quilts the way I want to, following no particular design.
How do I get someone to take over leadership - I don't want to run it myself.
Help!
I started my own Patchwork Class here where I live for the same reason, the only other one near me was miles away and far too advanced. Although I have been only quilting for 6 years and would know way class myself as advanced, or advanced intermediate I felt I had a lot of information to impart.

I was asked to head a crafts class at our local Age concern meeting and soon found that all the ladies, about a dozen, wanted to learn patchwork so that is what I started with. The class needed more time so where I live has a large residents lounge with kitchen and bathroom facilities, important.

We now meet twice a week, about 6 - 7 hours in total and guess what my first tutorial was?

How to setup, clean, and use their Sewing machines! They were such newbies some hadn't looked at them in decades now they are really good with their machines, but don't assume, in my lessons I had forgotten to show them how to wind a bobbin correctly and realised this when I saw one of the Ladies tying the cotton on to start filling it, duh my fault.

You will need to be ready for complete novices, I just joined another group run by a well known quilter in my area and she was overwhelmed when she had 3 complete newbies in her first meeting and was grateful I was there.

Don't worry about running it yourself as all quilters want is a get together, chat and get on with quilting, if you have newbies just go gently with them and start from basics, and I do mean basics they will soak up your information.

I do wish you well in your endeavor as part of being a quilter is to be a good ambassador and spreading your knowledge.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 AM

our guild meets twice a month. First meeting is business meeting, lunch, show and tell and a class. Second meeting is all about charity quilts. We have grown from 4 ladies to 47 ladies in 5 years. We do one fundraiser a year to earn money for our charity work and we participate as volunteers once a year for a local civil war muesum quilt show. We also host our own quilt shows in the community. As we have grown we elected officers and set up committees, I'm now the current Prez. But for a small group just getting together is the fun! I have 47 BFF's. Best wished to your success.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Swap Hosts

Thank you all for these wonderful ideas! I'm feeling much more confident now. I just realized that my next door neighbor's mom is a quilter - she's awfully busy watching the g'kids but I'll ask her for some ideas and if she can get away to participate.
Do you think days or evenings are best? At the moment I work at home (I make veils for a living) but I know when I did work outside the house by the time I got home, fixed dinner, etc. I was pooped and really not in the mood to go out.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 AM

Location: South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.

Krystyna go where the LORD leads you. That is what I did and I am still listening.

As far as fabric I went on craigs list and explained what our group does and that we were in need of cotton fabric and cotton batting. Just be careful and have someone go with you, meeting in a public place. It is a hit and miss thing, but we have been blessed repeatedly by generous people. Once I had a woman give me everything she owned concerning quilting:.....bolts of fabric, sewing machine, all quilt supplies, ironing board, you name it...see gave it to us. We were soooo blessed.

As far as sewing machines, we've been donated a few of those also...some work, some do not....you have to be specific when asking for the sewing machines, or you will be bombarded with machines that do not work.

My prayer for you is that God will supply all your needs....the knowledge, the way, the guidance and the direction for you. If there is anything I can do to help you may PM me.

Dar
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 AM

Do you have a LQS or a fabric store? Maybe, ask them if you can put a flyer up telling what you want to start with a contact number and see what interest you get.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:43 AM

If you don't want to start a formal group with rules and a business meeting etc. start real small. Post a notice at your local library, grocery store, senior center, your local quilt shop and even Joanns.
I belong to two large guilds and one small "'Bee". The Bee is between 4 and 5 of us who are also members of one of the guilds. We meet twice a month in the back room of a local Bernina dealer. We usually each bring some handwork either quilt related or not. Yesterday I was crocheting an edge around a fleece blanket for Linus, another woman was embroidering some kitchen towels a third was doing some beading and the fourth was just looking at quilt magazines and chatting. After two hours of pleasant company we all went out to lunch together.
The larger guild knows about our meetings and occasionally someone stops in for advice or just to see what we are up to. Most of the regulars are experienced quilters but we always learn something from each other. The shop where we meet is also a custom dress making and alterations business. 20 years ago I worked for them. The employees there are always eager to answer any sewing related questions we might have and of course are more than willing to sell us anything we might need.
We have no rules or formal agenda. The shop owner has asked us several times if we are interested in teaching quilting classes at the shop. So far we have resisted.
Just another alternative to a formal group.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:27 AM

Wow. I am happy just to squeeze in a little time to quilt during my week. God bless those of you that can have the free time to be able to get together with other quilters! I don't want to rush away with time I have with my children as I know it will be gone soon enough. But, someday. :)