Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Start a Stash >

How to Start a Stash

How to Start a Stash

Old 05-28-2011, 12:28 PM

I prefer to think of my stash as a collection. I add to my collection when ever I find something I really like. I buy a minimum of 2 yards and usually 3 or 4 yards. My collection reallly grew when I got a job at the LQS and I had a discount. Now, it's more like an inventory. My DH says the fabric multiplies in the cupboard.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:36 PM

It's still cheaper than therapy.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:52 PM

I couldn't even tell you how mine started. It seems like overnight I had enough fabric that it needed to be "stashed" or stored. And in 6 bookcases I might add... I never seem to have just the right color or piece I am looking for when doing a project...I worry about that. I also can't throw my scraps away because all the crafty people on here and in blogs make beautiful things out of small pieces of beautiful wonderful and sometimes ugly fabric. Also ~ I have 6 kids and my "babies" are going up & out of their clothes. And thank you very much to people like Bonnie Hunter who show you what you can do while being thrifty. But to me the reason I have a "stash"...I AM NOT sewing fast enough. =)
Old 05-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Collect by doing all the things you listed. Don't forget your closet, look for all the cotton clothing that you don't wear anymore. Cut away all the seams, press and fold the fabric pieces - you've started a stash. You'd be surprised how much fabric is in a skirt, a blouse, or one of hubby's shirts. Count your blessings if he a buy guy. LOL Hit the second hand shops for anything cotton that's in good shape. I view everything cotton as a potention fat-quarter in my stash LOL.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:54 PM

And, if you are watching pennies like me, barter!!

In the last several months I have bartered my time for fabric, such as: A friend didn't want to add the borders and binding to her quilt. I did it for fabric from her stash. I had seen one color in particular in her stash that I just had to have and asked her, "What can I do to get that fabric form you?"

She was more than glad to give up a few pieces of fabric left over from projects. The fabrics were old to her but new to me!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:43 PM

Not to worry, there are several websites that lots of fabrics on sale. In a very short time, your stash will take over your house and every room in it. Right, everybody?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:43 PM

When I started quilting, I didn't have the money to buy large cuts of yardage. I might have gone to a quilt show or a new shop with $10.00 to spend. Because of that I have mostly fat quarters (they are so darned easy to grab, no waiting in line). I like scrappy quilts (controlled scrappy), for the most part, so FQ's work for me. The longer you quilt the better you will get at knowing which fabrics you will use where (borders, background, etc.)and that will help you know how much to buy. Sometimes, running short of a fabric forces you to get creative, and you end up with a much better quilt than you would have if you hadn't run short.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:25 AM

In a recent MAJOR move across country, I thought I would have no place to sew. I sold or gave away almost all of my stash. After the dynamics of the move changed greatly I wanted to rebuild. I went to Canada where I was told that fabric would be much higher in cost even though a meter is three inches more than a yard. I found reproduction fabrics just like my Gma's old flour and sugar sacks. They were on sale for less then I could find them herein the states. My money is tight so I bought .3 of a meter. For $40.00 I have a brand new stash that looks very old. I do a lot of scrap quilts so this works great for me. If I have a pattern in mind for the future (and I did) I bought 3 meters. That extra 3 inches a meter more than made up for shrinkage. Usually my stash is made up of yardsale and thrift store buys. At thrift stores I check sheets that are 100 percent cotton and a color I like.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 AM

This is soooo funny.....My little babies are now having babies so now I'm a great-quiltma...!!! I can't stand to throw away anything bigger than A sq inch....It's so addictive...and yes it' happens in the middle of the night and you'll know..."I HAVE A STASH" love it .....
Originally Posted by clynns
My daughter and I went on an Ohio Shop Hop, that's where you get in the car and drive to 10-15 shops hopefully all in one day. (Yes it can be done!). We went to one that had a beautiful bright border that looked like it came from India. But we couldn't find the fabric anywhere. We walked into one of the shops on the tour and on our way out (we asked for the fabric at EVERY shop) I saw IT! It was a full bolt and I grabbed it and held on tight. I yelled for my daughter and she said how much do you want? I said at least 7 yards, she said I'll take the rest! This is how it starts.
Sometimes you go to bed, and the fabric fairy's get up in the middle of the night and make more fabric. Usually, you do online shop hops and see sales that are meant to 'entice' you. It works. When you see just the right color of coral or teal and know that it goes with that hard to find border - you buy it. Soon, your fabric has had little baby's. What starts out as lint, ends up costing a mint! I made a funny. LOL
Like someone said....enjoy the process. You'll know when it happens....
Old 05-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Today, when I was looking for a certain fabric for binding, I thought I was about a foot short..... I told my son, THIS is why I always buy extra fabric!!! Then, thankfully, I found another piece of that special lime green. Whew, but it does make me realize why I have this STASH!