Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Tough is a Kaleidoscope? >

How Tough is a Kaleidoscope?

How Tough is a Kaleidoscope?

Old 06-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

The old fashioned traditional kaleidoscope block is eight 45 degree triangles pieced together with 4 triangle units sewn to the corners to make the square block. I recently completed 90 spiderweb blocks to make 3 quilts. spiderwebs are also eight 45 degree triangles but the triangle units are cut from strip sets. Here are the best tricks I learned when sewing the blocks together.
1. Invest in the 45 degree ruler! definitely worth it IMHO. Creative grids is very nice.
2. When you join the two halves, pin or glue well (I pin) the center part where it all meets. I like to pin because then I can make sure I am intersecting the "x" of seam lines on both units. On my first pin I put it in intersecting the "x" checking to make sure I am dead center on both halves, leaving it straight up and down through the intersection. Then I insert 3 more pins before removing the one that is straight up and down.
3. Start sewing from the center out. You have to remove the block and flip it to sew the other half but it really helps the intersection of the 8 points and as an added bonus, by starting from the center it allows you to furl the center seams out like a windmill so you don't get all the bulk and you don't have to press all your seams open.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 AM

Feline fanatic, excellent advice. I finally figured that out about half way thru the first kaleido I made and the second half ended up looking so much better. I love the mystery of kaleidoscopes. Every block has it's own secret face.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
In your first post the way it was written, you wrote you hated him. Most people (like the media) don't reason the intent of words but the actual words. I read it as you did not like his designs as I reasoned that was your intent.
Yes, you are correct with your reasoning.....will have to choose words more carefully...written is always more difficult than speaking a statement/ idea/ question......sorry for the " miswrite"-- to those who took it the wrong way.....
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 AM

Dunster - I too love your quilt do you remember what pattern it was?

Also a note on Paula Nadelsterns kaleidscopes - I think you need to be an experienced quilter or very determined. I took a class from her once (never even got one of the wedges for my kaleidscope done), she is an excellent teacher and I loved just listening to everything she had to say. I decided that quilt wasn't for me but I still learned a lot in class.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 AM

Feline fanatic has stated the pattern I know as kaleidoscope ......