Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to transfer an Embroidery Pattern? >

How to transfer an Embroidery Pattern?

How to transfer an Embroidery Pattern?

Old 04-14-2013, 03:21 PM

Default How to transfer an Embroidery Pattern?

I bought a 12"x12" wall hanging pattern from "This n That". It is a quilted wall hanging but I need to embroider the picture in the center. The pattern included the embroidery pattern. It says to transfer the embroidery pattern to the material. How do I transfer it to the material? I have embroidered dishtowels inthe past where I ironed the pattern onto the dish towel but this embroidery pattern is not an iron-on transfer and I don't know how to transfer it. Any suggestions? Also, it says to sew an iron-on stabilizer onto the back of the material that I am going to embroider. I have never done anything like that either. Any suggestions on what to use for that?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:33 PM

I have taped an embroidery design and the fabric to a window and then traced the design. Now I have a light box that DH made and it is much easier. I use a tiny size Micron pen but you could use anything, a pencil, what ever works for you. I trace the design on the main fabric and then baste a piece of muslin to the back before doing the embroidery. I am assuming you are talking about hand embriodery and not machine. You might Google your question and you will get good information, more detailed. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Is this hand embroidery? I've traced patterns onto water-soluble stabilizer, both the iron on and the not, then sewn through the stabilizer. Usually I do this for FMQ patterns on quilt borders but it would work for anything. When you get the stabilizer wet, it dissolves.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM

You can also use an iron on transfer pencil - you trace the design onto paper with it and iron it onto your quilt.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

My new favourite way to trace embroidery patterns is using my Frixion pen. I use my Crayola light box (idea from QB) and trace the pattern directly to my material. Since I am going to embroider directly over the lines I don't worry about the lines coming back in freezing weather after I iron them off. I use a really good fabric with a tight weave for my background and don't use a lining fabric.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM

I, too, use a Frixion pen and a light box. On my last Redwork embroidery, I decided that I wanted to iron a light weight interfacing to the fabric. Of course, that removed the design. A trip to the freezer brought the design back. Like Tartan, I embroidery over the lines.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

The first thing I do is to iron a piece of freezer paper to the back of the fabric I want to transfer the design to. This stabilizes the fabric while drawing on it. Make it a few inches bigger than you need and trim down after the needle work is done.

I enlarge or decrease the motif size on a copier to my needs. (usually enlarge)

Tape the motif to a window or a light box.

Tape the freezer paper backed fabric over the motif w/ the fabric up.

Trace the motif with your tool of choice. I like to use 'Micron pens'. They are permanent and won't discolor the needle work.

After it is traced, peel the freezer paper off the back and do your needle work.

Sample:[ATTACH=CONFIG]408341[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails little-susan-quilt-finish-dec-2012-011.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.