Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Transfer hand embroidery pattern to black fabric...ideas? >

Transfer hand embroidery pattern to black fabric...ideas?

Transfer hand embroidery pattern to black fabric...ideas?

Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Default Transfer hand embroidery pattern to black fabric...ideas?

I have a cute hand embroidery pattern I wish to do on black cotton. Any ideas?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:18 PM

Are you old enough to remember the tracing wheel with colored transfur paper? We used it for marking darts and pleats in clothing It had yellow and white papers in it along with blue, red, and I think green. it may still be sold at Joann's I have seen the wheel there, they may still sell the paper it came in a mixed color pack.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:30 PM

The other option I can think of, off the top of my head, is to trace the pattern onto copy paper, sew on the lines with no thread in your needle to perforate it, then lay the paper on your black fabric and pounce some chalk onto it.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 PM

My mom is visiting me for a bit. She needs to call her sister to find out the name, but she has used a special paper to transfer the design onto dark fabric. I will make sure either she or I post out here tomorrow what the name of this is. That is if someone else does not mention it first. Hope you do not mind a little bit of a wait.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM

i have used transfer pencils a couple of times and they work pretty well.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd57510
Old 01-07-2012, 05:33 PM

For my DGS's crazy quilt - since I had a lot of darker fabrics in it - I traced the motif on to plain white tissue paper. It's easy to see thru for tracing, easy to remove when the embroidery is finished and there are no marking lines on the fabric to try to remove. I did probably 40 or so motifs on that crazy quilt - some very detailed some not - using that method and didn't have any problems, plus it's cheap...you may even have some already!!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:52 PM

In the past I have used transfer pencils as well. I remember a white one and a silver one.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:22 AM

I just started embroidery and found these fantastic transfer sheets that go through the copier or ink jet printer, then you peel off the back and apply it to the top of your fabric you are going to embroider. Then you do your embroidery work on top of this. When you are done you trim away the pieces of sticky stuff around the edges and then put the rest under water. It dissolves. I think it is fantastic and is easy to see on top of something dark, plus a complex design is so easy because it is a photocopy, you are not tracing. I found it at my quilt shop that also has a very large selection of embroidery floss.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:45 AM

dritz has a white pen that will do the transfer..you have to wait a few seconds for it to show up but it works really well on dark fabrics
Old 01-08-2012, 07:51 AM

I did something like this recently. Someone on another forum posted a project of "reverse redwork," where she stitched white on red. She said she traced on the back of the red fabric, although it was hard to see through the fabric to trace.

I looked into various types of fusible and dissolvable papers, but many are thick and hard to stitch through, as they can get the needle gummy. Finally, I bought the lightest apparel interfacing I could find, trace the pattern on it, then ironed it all over the back of the fabric I was using. I was planning to guide my stitches from the back by following the pattern, but could actually see through the red just enough to follow the pattern from the front. I think it might work on black fabric, too. I traced with a thin Sharpie pen, but actually I could have used a darker line, since it doesn't show through the dark fabric.

Hope this helps!