Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How & where do you store quilt items not on display? >

How & where do you store quilt items not on display?

How & where do you store quilt items not on display?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 AM

I have some rather large suitcases (too big for me to travel with now) that I use as storage units. The quilts stay clean--I also have a set of bookshelves in my sewing room I keep my newest finishes on. I have 3 boxes under the bed (bought bed risers so bigger boxes would fit under it). I keep the seasonal ones in a chest of drawers in the living room (really serves as my buffet). I also have five windows that I display quilts on rather than using drapes. I have light filtering blinds, so the quilts do not get damaged by the light.
I am preparing for a "Quilt-Christmas for for 2012" --my 22 family members will each get to pick a quilt to keep. I do this every 3 years or so--it clears out my space and I can begin to stockpile once again!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Been keeping my eye open for one of those bookcases. Seen several trunk type new quilt chests and they don't hold much and they are very expensive ! You have confirmed my thoughts ! Happy New Year !
Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 AM

Moreland would you consider adopting me before christmas2012...LOL
Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 PM

everyone has to store their quilts in the space they have available...but having said that, is the question how to show as many as possible? then the suggestions here will help...if the question is how to protect those items not 'out' right now.... then take a tip from our grandmothers...mine, like a lot of people's, had a guest room with a bed that was layered with all her quilts. One of our treats during a visit was to see her own private bed-turning as she pulled a corner back and explained when and where and who this one was made for or with.... storing them flat is THE best thing for the quilt itself....second? get cardboard rolls from a florist supply or yardage store, wrap in an old, clean sheet, do NOT let your quilts touch cardboard, it will discolor them. Then roll the quilt onto the roll...you can put 2 or 3 on the same 'core'.... then wrap on the outside with another clean sheet to protect from dust. If you MUST fold a quilt, which I would just Never do, other than for travel, then fold in thirds both directions...how many quilts have you seen with a little 'pup tent' in the center of the quilt from being folded the same way for years! When talking to quilt groups, what I say is, "We never fold our quilts in half, because everyone else always will." Just doing it differently will help.... and then, set a schedule for yourself... twice a year, try when the clocks change, get them out of their boxes, air, fold in a different way and then replace.... NO PLASTIC unless it's going in the mail....NEVER....

Put them on a bed if you have an extra...they will look new for decades...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:18 PM

I have a friend who layers them on her bed in her spare bedroom. When guests come, she folds them all and puts them in a closet. She had 31 quilts on the bed at one time!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

i keep runners in the linen closet with the extra placemats- i keep other (seasonal) items with the seasonal decor-
quilts are in the linen closets with the extra blankets, comforters, pillows- the wool quilts i put into pillow cases before putting in the closet- to protect them from pet hair- the cat seems to love wool as much as i do
Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 AM

Love your ideas folks. My Mom has given us 2 so I have them both on my bed. (I can't seem to part with them, but realize that two are a bit much in the summer...) I have also made a twin size "lap" quilt that MDH uses and my first quilt project was a lap quilt I made at a class in the LQS. These are on our couches... We are hoping to sell our oversized home and move. We may be able to use some of these ideas....