Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store/display your stash

Hello all, I'm in the process of redoing my quilting room. Currently, I keep my stash in large plastic bins stacked against a wall. The bins protected my stash from my border collie who shared the same space. After 14 years, he now keeps an eye on me from above. :( Way off point, sorry....
    My plan is to purchase a large bookcase and stack my fabric on the shelves. I have the option to get glass doors, but would rather not spend the extra money. How do you store your stach? Is it out in the open or tucked away and protected? Thanks everyone.

The doors would help keep dust out. Also, I would be careful about having in in direct sunlight, it fades the fab.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

My fabric is stacked on open shelves I moved into a closet to protect it from light, dust, and my seven furry children. :)

Blog Entries
    I keep mine on shelves (like book shelves) I wrap my fabric around a heavy cardboard and pin it, it stands on end like a bolt at a fabric store. Its' so easy for be to pick what I need from my stash now, I buy very little fabric

Blog Entries
    My fabrics are stacked on bookshelves. They are not directly in front of the window so they don't get a lot of sunlight and I make sure that I keep the blinds closed when I'm not in there.

All my fabric is on custom made shelve (byDH) and on an inside wall so it doesn't get any sunlight. I am hoping to use most of it up so it has no chance of getting dusty...LOL

I store my fabric by color in covered plastic boxes out of direct light.

Blog Entries
    Need to keep it out of direct sunlight, maybe use a tension rod at the top to suspend a curtain or how about a quilted panel?

Quote Originally Posted by happy_lady
    Hello all, I'm in the process of redoing my quilting room. Currently, I keep my stash in large plastic bins stacked against a wall. The bins protected my stash from my border collie who shared the same space. After 14 years, he now keeps an eye on me from above. :( Way off point, sorry....
    My plan is to purchase a large bookcase and stack my fabric on the shelves. I have the option to get glass doors, but would rather not spend the extra money. How do you store your stach? Is it out in the open or tucked away and protected? Thanks everyone.
    My son built my books cases and here's what I'm doing. I was thinking of buying a heavy plastic from Joanns and putting thumb tacks along the sides.

One shelf
    Name:  Attachment-234499.jpe
Views: 152
Size:  73.3 KB

I have mine in stacks on shelves and in clear tubs by color. I do have way too much but I just love buying fabric. and it is great to have whatever you need when you get the urge to make something and I seldom use patterns.

I purchase a white wardrobe closet at Homedepot and it holds all my fabric. Scrapes I put in plastic bags (like the one sheet come in) by color and store in the bedroom closet. Works great and the room looks organized.

I purchased a white wardrobe closet at Homedepot (comes in wood also) and it holds all my fabric. My scrapes I put in plastic bags (like the one sheet come in with a zipper by color and store in the bedroom closet. Works great and the room looks organized.

Blog Entries
    Hey girlfriend I need to come shopping at you house.LOL LOL

Blog Entries
    mine is now stashed in clear plastic totes, so I can see what I have. Have a black lab & a border collie/aussie shepherd that shed black hair. don't want that on my fabric. DD helped do what was downstairs when she was home for a week's vacation the beginning of July. Now if I had my fabric upstairs done the same I would have no problem finding what I want. Am looking for my Phillies fabric yet. I have a whole bolt up there somewhere. My Daisy has been spending her nights out by the kennel where her puppies are. They are weaned, but she is real protective. I have been busy getting my Daisy's puppies to new homes. 2 left yesterday & got to Wright WY last nite & then 1 will head for Nebraska. I have 1 that went to Kenmare, & possibly two are going west of Kenmare. I also had 1 go just west & a little north of me. So most haven't gone far. But I don't want them back. they can sure eat--never had 10 puppies at once I guess.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I have always stored my fabric behind the closed doors of a cupboard/amoire of some kind. Thirty years, no fading.

Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by grannyp70
    Hey girlfriend I need to come shopping at you house.LOL LOL
    I put freezer paper on the shelves.

i keep mine in a walk in closet away from sunlight

I am under the roof/rafters and there are small access doors to the area 4 feet and under. i slide large plastic bins in there. It is not convenient and no showing off of stash but it keeps it looking un cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I am under the roof/rafters and there are small access doors to the area 4 feet and under. i slide large plastic bins in there. It is not convenient and no showing off of stash but it keeps it looking un cluttered.
    Oh that's ok, I may be stashing some under my bed soon, running out of space.

I had a neighbor that put a china cabinet with glass doors out on the street for garbage because it was to big for their house. I loved it - it is very 50's. I sent my husband and son out to bring it to our house - wiped it down and put my fabric in it. Love it.

I keep most of mine in IKEA Anotnius systems. 2 are stacked and in the closet and 1 is under the table with my embroidery machine on top and this is where I usually put my current and next projects. I can see at a glance what I have, the baskets won't rust and pull out easily, and the bottom of the stacked one, and the solo one are with wheels so I can pull them out if I want to rearrange the fabric.

I dislike plastic bins because I don't want to harm the fabric and I can't see through them.

ali

I store mine in clear rubbermaid containers away from sunlight and yep dust.

I store my fabric in big plastic tubs in the closet.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I store mine wrapped around comic book boards and put on shallow shelves. I'm going to try and attach a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by patski
    I keep mine on shelves (like book shelves) I wrap my fabric around a heavy cardboard and pin it, it stands on end like a bolt at a fabric store. Its' so easy for be to pick what I need from my stash now, I buy very little fabric
    I do this as well and purchased some EZ cores from a friend here on the board,and it was the best thing I have ever done!! If you want more information pm me and I will give you a link to her....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast