Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store/display your stash

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am in the process of changing my sewing room. My cabinets will be updated to have glass inserts in the doors (I am a visual person and need to SEE my stuff) Generally, I keep the curtains closed to eliminate sunlight and dust in my sewing room. If you don't want to spend money on glass doors, maybe you could sew a curtain across the shelves. That was my original plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen's Kreations
    I store mine wrapped around comic book boards and put on shallow shelves. I'm going to try and attach a picture.
    Very nice set-up.

I keep mine in plastic tubs (each color has it's own tub= they are small). They are put into closets. I like an uncluttered look in my room.
    I'm posting a photo of two of my cabinets but there wasn't a lot of fabric in there when I took the photo. You can see the boxes, they have blue lids.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just got finished this last winter putting up white closed cabinets above my sewing desk, but here is how it when I first moved in there last winter. Hubby bought all of this system at the home center.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-61710-1.htm

I have mine on wire shelving in a closet. Works really well.

I have the plastic drawer chests. I have them in a closet and the material is sorted by color. I like that they're protected from dust and sun.

I have 8-10 20 gallon tubs of fabric in my small sewing room. Some tubs are in the small closet, some are under tables and some stacked againist the wall. But I have labels on the outside by color, vintage stuff & novelty/baby as I make alot of charity quilts. Most tubs are not clear but I am too cheap to buy new tubs. In fact I advertised on Craigslist looking for cheap clean tubs and paid only about $15 for all. Yes, I am poor & cheap but rich in spirit!

Blog Entries
    If you are going to store the fabric on open shelves, keep it from any sunlight direct or indirect. I stapled a pretty cotton shower curtain (clearance at Big Lots) to a wood book case years ago and would flip it out of the way when I wanted to pick fabric. I now have shelves in a closet 24" apart and had my LQS save the cardboard sleeves that the fabric comes wrapped on. 3 shelves of 24" high, the other half is 3 shelves of 18" for folded fabric and fat quarters. on the floor are plastic bins (smaller ones as the big ones filled with projects, kits are too heavy for me to lift) with whatevers.

I have many drawers and store by color.

Blog Entries
    I went to the store and got the bookshelves w/the cubbies; there are nine cubbies in each; I stacked two rows two high. Some of them have the canvas cubes in them to hold projects, patterns, notions, etc. Others have nothing so that I can put my stash, batting, etc in them. I try not to keep a really large stash so this works really great for me. I also have alot of fleece and that I keep in totes under my cutting table I got from JoAnns 1/2 price.

Blog Entries
    I have a bookcase, then I have clear plastic totes (IKEA, Container Store, sometimes Walmart) for the fat quarters, and a few fat eighths, each color in a separate tote. Because they are clear, I can see the colors, but the fabrics are protected from dust, pet hair, whatnot. I have 1/2 yard lengths also this way.

I have a pretty large stash...the majority of mine is stored in crates turned on end and is by color, crates stacked 4 high, with a curtain in front to keep out sunlight...the crates are within a closet. Light colors/backgrounds are on the shelf above, with a piece of muslin draped over again to keep out sunlight.
    Then I have another cupboard full of larger pieces of fabrics for borders and backings. And one dresser upstairs full of plaids, another full of batiks, florals and more plaids. Plus another tub of more plaids that don't fit (yet) into the other storage areas. I hope to keep using my plaids enough that all will fit into drawers soon.

Even room light can fade fabrics, not just sunlight, so try to keep your fabrics covered some way so they don't fade!

Stash is inside a closet on shelving. I do keep my precuts tied with ribbons in a basket sitting pretty on the old treadle.

Blog Entries
    I store mine in the 9 cube containers from Target. There's no light at the end of the room that the fabric is in, but I do put an old sheet over it when not in use.

I have 2 of these containers and a small dresser that holds my batting and some other fabric that didn't fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I keep mine color grouped in clear plastic sweater or shoe boxes on bookshelf.... works great ...
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_lady
    Hello all, I'm in the process of redoing my quilting room. Currently, I keep my stash in large plastic bins stacked against a wall. The bins protected my stash from my border collie who shared the same space. After 14 years, he now keeps an eye on me from above. :( Way off point, sorry....
    My plan is to purchase a large bookcase and stack my fabric on the shelves. I have the option to get glass doors, but would rather not spend the extra money. How do you store your stach? Is it out in the open or tucked away and protected? Thanks everyone.

Clear plastic bins for larger cuts ... clear shoebox size for smaller bits, sorted by color. I like Patski's idea of putting larger cuts on cardboard & standing it up like the fabric store! Wouldn't that be fun to go shopping in your sewing corner without spending a dime! :)

You must remember to be careful of light hitting your fabric. I use wonderful storage units from Ikea. Some have doors, some not. I tried to put batting, books, etc on the open shelves so light is not an issue but of course I have bought so much fabric that is no longer possible. Besides, I love to see all the beautiful fabric. This is how I solved the problem: I purchased light-blocking window shades and when I'm not in the room sewing, that room is as dark as night. When I go in, I open them up and enjoy the view. Be sure that no fabric is in direct sunlight.

I bought a used armoire for $40. I removed the shelf where the tv was supposed to sit. Bought 12 stacking containers from Lowes (which cost WAY more than $40). The doors slide in so I can easily see my fabric stash. Also store my batting in the bottom area. Best $40 i've ever spent!

I took the doors off a closet, took down the rod, and put in 2 shelving units from Home Depot. (The snap-together) kind. I have various sizes of clear storage boxes labeled by color. Small scraps of each color group are in a plastic bag in the appropriate box. Works for me.

I waited for IKEA to have a sale a purchased a "wardrobe" to stash my stash. It has small drawers that hold folded fat quarters perfectly. In the larger spaces, I use plastic shoe boxes and sort by color. There are two large bins on rollers at the bottom. In one I store fabric scraps that I use in baby quilts eventually, the other bin has batting and polyfill scraps. My cutting tables are IKEA kitchen block tables with storage underneath. Take a look at the IKEA catalog and look at all the rooms for storage ideas. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I store mine in bookcases out of the sunlight.I love all color showing
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_lady
    Hello all, I'm in the process of redoing my quilting room. Currently, I keep my stash in large plastic bins stacked against a wall. The bins protected my stash from my border collie who shared the same space. After 14 years, he now keeps an eye on me from above. :( Way off point, sorry....
    My plan is to purchase a large bookcase and stack my fabric on the shelves. I have the option to get glass doors, but would rather not spend the extra money. How do you store your stach? Is it out in the open or tucked away and protected? Thanks everyone.
    :D :D :D

I have a bank of cabinets with doors on them. I like this because I can shut the doors and hide the mess and also it keeps the fabric clean and the sun from fading it.

My fabrics are ruler folded and in metal pattern cabinet drawers.

My sympathies to you on the loss of your dear fur baby.

I found when purchasing book shelves you have to be careful that they are deep enough. Mine were not so I have books of quilt related things on them. I am still looking for just the right storage for my room. So far I have mine in totes and have to look thru every thing just to find the right piece.

Blog Entries
    HAHAHA!! I hope the same thing until I go to a quilt show or a new fabric shop!! Good luck with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    All my fabric is on custom made shelve (byDH) and on an inside wall so it doesn't get any sunlight. I am hoping to use most of it up so it has no chance of getting dusty...LOL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast