Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How do you store/display your stash

We are not really supposed to display our stash are we??? Mine is in plastic bins, boxes, piles, plastic bags, heaps etc.......

My few pieces are on open shelves. After dusting the rest of th room a few minutes ago, I'm thinking the glass doors would be great. In fact I was at a thrift store last week that had a Chain cabinet with glass doors for $35. Think I'll buy it if it is still there. then move this shelf into another room.

I have an old chest dresser and each drawer is full. I do not stack them like i would clothes but I stand them on end like files so I can see the colors. Keeps the dust and light out and I can just pull out a drawer to see what is there.

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    I have 2 big cabinets that I bought at Ames 14 years ago. The store has been out of business for about 10 years. The cabinet is sized bigger than the cabinets you buy at Walmart or Target. I leave the doors on to keep the sun off, (I have a big window), & to keep the dust off. We have our AC on all the time, & you would not believe the amount of dust that generates. I was able to dedicate 2 cabinets for my fabric stash. Good luck with your sewing room.

debra

open shelves and shelves w/ doors stacked by color and type (Asian, African, batik,etc.) I'm in a lower level so light isn't a real issue. but on that subject, I have started moving quilts I have on the walls since I discovered one piece that I didn't even think was getting much light had fade patterns starting to show :shock:

I have mine in clear plastic tubs like rubber maid. There are some squares that I have left over, I put in plastic bags and put them into the containers too. These containers are then stored in my spare room closet

I have my stash in glass-doored bookshelves from IKEA. Beware of glass doors. I don't have any windows (it's in the basement) but I do have florescent lights and have recently found fade marks along the folds of some of the fabric. I plan to make curtain inserts or add some opaque contact paper to the glass to keep the fabric from fading.

Thanks for asking this question. Everyone has such good tips on how they keep there fabric. I'm going to use a few of them myself.

I store mine on book shelves. I tried putting the fabric in a closet but the shelves were really deep so the fabric was one stack in front of the other. I hated that as I could not see my colors. So I am back to my book shelves and every happy with them. I have 4 high book shelves and than a cupboard with doors on it where I have my Christmas fabric and my flannels.

I always wanted a set of cabinets with drawers but I am not sure that would work now. Cabinets with glass doors would be really nice. But not necessary for the expenses.

I have my stash on an open faced shelv ing unit. To keep the fabric away from sun damage, I've hung a dark, heavy bed sheet in the front of the unit.

I have my fabric displayed on shelves. They are not in direct sunlight and I don't find dust to be a problem. It is so much easier to see what I have, and I love being able to see them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Happy Lady:

I keep my stash in two 5-shelf bookcases by color, kid prints & Christmas prints. On the bottom shelves I have my 3-ring binders with my patterns & books. I also keep all my small pieces of fabric in 2 bins on top of the bookcases separated by color in plastic bags within the bins. I try to keep things organized in order to find things faster. As they say "Organized people are just too lazy to get up & look for it". Good luck in organizing your stash.

Birdhse

Power Poster
    My stash is pretty much stored in clear plastic bins, out of direct sunlight. I literally have a wall of bins in the DR where it is mostly out of the way, but with clear bins and notes on the front of what is inside I can mostly find what I need, when I want it. Of course, there are exceptions, but I won't go into that.

I store my stash in stackable clear plastic drawer units that I got at Walmart. I place colors and co-ordnitates in each separate drawer. My bedroom faces north so I have no sun problem. Besides living in Las Vegas, I keep the shutteers closed in my room all summer to keep heat out.

store mine in totes by color, and then stacked on shelves.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_lady
    Hello all, I'm in the process of redoing my quilting room. Currently, I keep my stash in large plastic bins stacked against a wall. The bins protected my stash from my border collie who shared the same space. After 14 years, he now keeps an eye on me from above. :( Way off point, sorry....
    My plan is to purchase a large bookcase and stack my fabric on the shelves. I have the option to get glass doors, but would rather not spend the extra money. How do you store your stach? Is it out in the open or tucked away and protected? Thanks everyone.
    About a year ago, I purchased a large five shelf office supply cabinet for my stash. I am so happy that I got it because you can see just what you have. I have coordinated the colors and that makes it a lot easier to find too.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    I'm sorry for your loss. :(

My fabric is stacked on open shelves I moved into a closet to protect it from light, dust, and my seven furry children. :)
    Love your furry children in picture, I have two of them!
    I also keep my fabric behind doors to protect from sunlight.

I store my fabric on shelves, wrapped around cardboard cut from the cardboard that fabric is wrapped around at the store. I just cut them to the right length, and roll my fabric around them. I can see what I have immediately. My room is in the basement, so no fading issues.

a regular here
    Mine is in the closet in totes with drawers.

Blog Entries
    I have a 6 drawer dresser that I keep separate colors in, folded into 12 x 5 shape, set on edge so I can 'shop' at a glance. I sort by the 8 basic colors, Large pieces live on top, under a small sheet, and conversation prints are up in "kitchen" cabinets that I got from a friend, when she remodeled, then DH bought me a lovely big cabinet for all of my supplies. I can't leave fabric on shelves, because my home is down a gravel road, and dust is awful! I am truly blessed, now if I could just stay organized, life would be so easy. *(Yes, I know, I am delusional about other things too! :oops: )

Blog Entries
    Storage cabnets from home depot keeps them clean and no fading.

I do not display stash if I can help it. It ends up dusty, full of cat fur and potentially damaged by light. Everything is kept in either these acid free cardboard 'half' boxes my Mom got or in plastic bins, away from sunlight.

How you use your fabric really helps to determine how you should store it. Some people need to look at all their fabric to make design decisions.

I have a lot of novelty or focus fabric, so I choose the novelty and then work from there. I then look in the 'background' box and/or the color box that best works with the focus fabric for large pieces. Then I go to the boxes full of fat quarters for filler.

I love how you have your fabric, but my stash is so much bigger than that.

I have most of my fabric in the new "Protect-n-Store" plastic acid-free containers. And then I placed them on shelves. they are expensive. i probably spent aoround $200.00 for a case opf them (about 40 of them). Quilt pattern and fabric fit in each box. You can call 1-866-700-PACK and ask for order #fcp-007250. I have seen LQS use them for selling fabric kits in them.

Currently I have an arm-ward( I know I am not spelling nor saying the right word). It is the large storage dressers out fore-mothers had. A friend gave me one 17 years ago. I am having it refinished and having shelves added fro more fabvreic storage space.

Blog Entries
    I store mine in a closet with sliding mirror doors which help keep out dust and light. I wrapped mine on a 6"x24" ruler for uniformity, and it's easier to find when I need a certain color.

My DH also fixed the back of a door up with pegboard for I can easily store my rulers, as shown in the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast