Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How wide is long cabin block if I use 2" strips.

Blog Entries

How wide is long cabin block if I use 2" strips.

I would like to make a log cabin with a 12 inch finished block. How wide should each of the strips be and what is the size of the middle square. I seem to be brain dead today. Help please. Thanks

There are multiple ways to make a log cabin block. These are just a few pics.... https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ages&FORM=IGRE

And this tab was labeled Printable Log Cabin patterns. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...rn&FORM=RESTAB

Do you want the center to be a square, or do you want to fussy cut some fabric, or a pieced center, or an offset, curving block? Sounds like I am being sarcastic, but I don't really mean to be. It's just that your simple question doesn't really have a simple answer.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

2" strips will finish to 1.5" logs. The center square is typically the same size as the logs (so would be 2"), but it doesn't have to be. As Barb said, there are still a lot of decisions to be made. So, for an even amount of logs each side, that would be 6 rows across and finish to 10.5. An additional row on one side would make it 12". If your center "log" is larger, cut 3.5 to finish at 3", that would make the block 12".

I'm going to be ironing some yardage in a bit, it will also be for a long cabin, I'm doing the variation with a diagonal line of squares across the middle. I think I will be cutting the strips 2", and have a bright yellow for the squares. For one side I will be using the same bright red with matching small bright yellow flowers. Not sure about the other side yet, maybe white background/black prints.

Always things to think about.
    Last edited by Iceblossom; 12-13-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    If you use 2" strips they will finish at 1 1/2", so you will need four rounds, including the centre squares - whether you cut a 3 1/2" square or use a 4 patch the same size for the centre. A diagram might help.
    Name:  12in LC.JPG
Views: 795
Size:  19.5 KB

On this quilt my center square was 3 1/2 inches then the logs were I believe 1 3/4 inches, my finished block was 12 1/2 inches. But I have made it with a smaller center square basically it's whatever you want to make it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ariannaquilts; 12-13-2018 at 10:20 PM. Reason: forgot picture
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries
    We all have the brain stop moments. Thank goodness for grid paper. When in doubt, draw it out! Then just count the squares. I write down 2 measurements on each piece - the finish size log and the log with seam allowance. This way I have it ready for the next time I tackle this block.

Try this site. Go down to "Log Cabin" Supposed to make a 12" square.
    http://www.quilterscache.com/BlocksbySizeC.html

The pattern I use the most is from Bed & Breakfast Quilts (I can't remember name of author) but Martingale published it. It uses a 3.5" center and then 2" logs. It makes a 12" block. I cut a lot of leftovers into 2" strips and have storage drawers full of the light and dark strips (ready to sew) which makes great leaders and enders. I just keep making blovcks until I have 30 and them put together quilt that is 60 x 72"