Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you do this? >

How would you do this?

How would you do this?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:46 PM
rb.

Originally Posted by JCquilts
I think I will try one of these blocks. Ill post pictures as I go through the cutting and pieceing if you like.

Should I add them in this thread or start a new one?
Here would be great!

I haven't had time to try it out yet, as I have furniture to paint in the garage before the temps are too low...we're dangerously close to freezing at night. Grrrr...
Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 PM
rb.

Originally Posted by jitkaau
There is a link to a video demonstration of how to do this block. It is a simpler version than Jinny Beyer's block, but may help you with the general idea. Apart from the foundation piecing of this block, called "Crossed Canoes" or "Crossed Shuttles", it is sometimes called "Dragonfly Block". Here is the link to the video of how to piece it: http://www.quiltblocklibrary.tv/tag/...s-quilt-block/ If you analyse the block carefully, you will see that it is only a four patch block.
Thank you.

It may be an advanced block, but instructions on how to put it together from the website would still be nice. LOL I've been sewing for 35 years, but only doing quilts for a few. I'm not a visual person, though, and looking at the pattern for quite a long time just threw me.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:57 PM

RB:how would you do this?

Go to the site for Jenny, click on free patterns, click on Devonshire (pattern name), click on download PDF and instructions will come up. At least they did for me. That is a very interesting and complicated block but I would like to try it sometime, maybe after finishing holiday wall hangings for sale at a bazaar. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:45 PM

Remember that Jinny Beyer is a hand piecer, so she might approach the block slightly different than a machine piecer.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:13 AM

My foremost suggestion would be to pay attention to that "advanced" in the corner. If you are an advanced quilter then feel good about jumping right in. But if you have some hesitation, I would suggest trying part of it first before jumping into buying all the fabric and looking at it as a "whole". While I am an Advanced seamstress (make wedding gowns etc) and my knowledge is pretty far along when it comes to quilting, I would never try something as daunting as that; mainly because at some point I would become discouraged because I couldn't do it "perfectly" and then would turn it into a UFO.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
Remember that Jinny Beyer is a hand piecer, so she might approach the block slightly different than a machine piecer.
I'm a graphic person and love paper piecing and jigsaw puzzles. If I were making this block, I'd paper piece it as shown in the diagram attached. As I said before, I'd do the block (6, 8, 8, 5, 4) then do the (3, 3, 2 star point).
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109305.jpe  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:04 AM

catmcclure...
I love the way you put this one together....I also love paper piecing........this does look like a really fun project..
Old 10-17-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lockeb
catmcclure...
I love the way you put this one together....I also love paper piecing........this does look like a really fun project..
Yeah, it does look like fun, but most of the design (the star points) depends on Jinny's fabric.

Like I said, print out all the templates, trim and tape, and print out a paper piece project. Or, if you're like me, pull the templates into photoshop and make a paper piece project.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 AM
rb.

catmcclure, thank you, thank you, thank you so much.

Part of my problem has been that I can only look at the diagram in the upper left corner on the PDF page ONLINE, since that PDF (and the TIFF) won't print properly from my printer. The pattern pieces come out "OK", needing some line gaps filled in, but the diagram at the top doesn't print out at all. Having to look at it online, without being able to draw triangles, etc. around the pieces to figure out it's construction, has been very difficult. Will have to get to my SIL's to print it out.

As for it being an advanced block...to me there is no advanced, just more time consuming, and more attention needed to detail.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:39 AM

I would probably try foundation piecing this one. Beautiful block but looks intimidating, as does most of Jinny Beyer's stuff, at least to me!