how would you handle this?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:49 AM

She's making money?????
She needs to buy the rest of the stuff
She needs to pay and quilt
She needs to finish and clean up what she started

consider the fabric she used from your stash a lesson to be learned :thumbup:
Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 AM

I agree with the others she should share half of the profit with you, after all she did use your material and you are doing most of the work. If she is a friend she will understand, but it sounds like to me that she is just a user, I'd drop her like a hot potatoe, you have more friends here than she will ever be to you.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 AM

I hand quilt and people are always asking me to quilt their tops. I tell them no. This is exactly the reason I don't quilt for the public.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 AM

Better yet...call her over to your house and have her read what you posted. And look at all the friends you have backing you up. =D And you won't have to say a thing.... =)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 AM

I have a friend, when she did not want to do a sewing project for someone, would set her price so high they would go elsewhere to get it done. That might be the answer to your problem.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM

I would just send it back. been there done this,with my mom. She now does better with her quilts. I was honest with her boy did I hate to do it but I was not going to put all the work in to a quilt that was so bad. Now when she sends me a quilt I say boy mom that sure is a good quilt. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 AM

Return it and the $100 to her and tell her that she needs to find a more experienced quilter that could possible quilt it in the condition it's in. Then fold on this losing hand and sever your "acquaintence" asap. I, too, used to have a user in my life. It took me a few months to see what a mooch she was, a month of trying to get her to realize it and stop, then a month or so to rid myself of her. Some people just go too far.

Let me edit this. Return the top to her. Ask her how much of the hundred she wants you to keep in return to replace the fabric in your stash. She probably won't want you to keep any of it but that will be a good start on letting her know that you won't be walked on anymore.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Thank you so much everyone for the strength you are all sending me....I have decided to return the quilt to her and tell her that it is not in quiltable condition. As far as the stash goes, I offered that freely and only mentioned it because in my mind I have given far more than I have expected to receive, and it surprises me that people can take and still expect more. I did agree to help quilt it 2 years ago, but as someone has mentioned, I have learned alot in those 2 years, and it cannot be quilted the way it is, by machine or by hand. She had no problem splitting the $400 with me, but; she did say are we going to have anything left to split after I buy the backing, batting, and rental of machine. The cost is coming out of my pocket first however because she is on disability and cannot afford it. I insisted that she got a deposit to cover these costs before I spent the money. It however does not cover the problems that she has left me to deal with, and I am very concerned about the possible issues that I will have quilting it, and the expectations of the person buying it will be. I will be returning it to her this weekend, putting the ball back in her court. I will tell her that I will reassess it after she has fixed the problems that I can see. The person that is buying it may back out if she has to wait too long, but then that will be her problem not mine and I haven't had to spend any more money. I don't think I can be any fairer than that!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 AM

Return it until she fixes the mess. And notify her of the charges before quilting it that you charge. After all she used your fabric, your time, your machine and your knowledge than sold it. Your "acquaintance" used you. Lessons learned.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 AM

Don't do it! She has to learn sometime and it might as well be now! Just tell it like it is.