Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how would you handle this? >

how would you handle this?

how would you handle this?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 AM

It isn't your job to "clean up her mess." I agree with the others on the board. She needs to get it quilted somewhere else, if she can. I'm sure you can find MUCH better uses for your time than this. I don't think you'll lose much if you do lose this "friend". Remember you have friends here if you need us!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 AM

I think the contract is a good idea - I definitely don't think you should be expected to do all the work with none of the profit. I would spell out exactly what everything will be and have her sign-off on what she is agreeing too - Good luck -

If your friend had a genuine interest in quilting or in learning together with you, I would encourage you to finish it with her. However, it sounds like she is just trying to make a quick buck off of your fabric and time and that is just plain unacceptable. It sounds like her listening ears are broken so I would do as Merry suggested and send her to a long arm quilter. Wash your hands of the problem and be too busy to help her when she wants to do anything quilting related in the future.

If she is selling it then let her finish it just the way it is. We all had to learn how to quilt. She is just using you and is that really being a friend? Maybe tell her in kind words that you can't do it for her as she is exspecting to much of you.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
Thank you every one for your opinion, it has reinforced how I feel. Let me clear up a few things that I may have left out. First of all, she is willing to split the $400 with me and out of this I will be reimbursed the cost to rent the machine (which she knows about)and the cost for the batting, backing and thread. We haven't even discussed the cost of gas as the rental is about an hours drive from my home. After these costs are looked after we split the remainder 50/50. I will return it to her and tell her that I cannot quilt it in that condition. I would rather go without the "profit" than to have to deal with all the possible problems.
You are smart for returning it to her, and you are smart for taking care of yourself !
Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 AM
LDB

I agree with everyone on the board with the suggestion that the quilt must be returned to the 'maker' to finish and sent to someone else to quilt. However, I have to disagree with those who suggest that the 'maker' owes for fabric used out of her stash. There was no agreement for the 'maker' to reimburse her for this fabric despite the obvious moral obligation. Clearly, the 'maker' of this quilt is oblivious to this sort of proper behavior as demonstrated by her ongoing acts. Any discussion about paying for the stash fabric should have been undertaken 2 years ago when the quilt was being cut.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 AM

I have been in a situation like that and returned the product, telling the person, I don't have time right now.

Some people do take advantage of a friendship just to get the benefits. With a friend like that, who needs enemies?

Carol J.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by merry
Return the quilt to your "friend" & tell her you can't quilt it with your present machine. Suggest a LQS & let them deal with her.
I totally agree with this statement.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 AM

I would definitly return it to her and tell her that she has not finished working the quilt. To be a quilter, she needs to clean it up and press. Tell her, that you think that it's great that she wants to become a quilter, but, there are many steps in becoming one. That she needs to clean it up, and press the seams before even thinking of quilting it. That you your quite busy right now, but, you can direct her to someone who may be able to do the quilting for her.
She certainly does not sound like a friend, has she called you, gone out anywhere at all with you in the last 2 yrs?
I would just chaulk her off your list of friends, as someone else said "with friends like that, who needs enemies"
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
Originally Posted by franie
Return it and say you are not comfortable with it. She can take it somewhere else and have it quilted. I returned one for that reason. It's best to be honest and up front. If she is so shallow as to toss you as a friend, I doubt you will lose much.
Completely agree with Franie!
I agree with both.