Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how would you handle this? >

how would you handle this?

how would you handle this?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:11 AM

I agree with all the above..Just call her and tell her you are afraid you'll ruin it if you try it on your machine due to it's condition. And since she has sold it to someone you don't want to take the responsibility and give her information re: finishing or places that do it.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:08 AM

since you are "teaching" her, teach her how to iron it and cut all the threads, she should appreciate the learning exp.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:17 AM
BMP

First I would NOT consider her as a "friend" I would give it back and just say you cant do it. Sounds like the small amount of money you would be getting in the end isnt worth all the work and frustration....
Old 02-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I also think you made a good decision.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 AM
pal

Give it back. It sounds as though this situation can only get worse. I would point out all of the places where the quilt doesn't meet and suggest that no one will buy a quilt in this condition. She'll be huffy and puffy and you'll feel the weight flying off your shoulders. Give it back.

I would explain that I wouldn't be true to myself if I quilted it in the condition that it is in. That should do it!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Murphy
Return it to the person who gave it to you and explain what she needs to complete before it can be quilted. This is not your problem and she is not learning if you do it for her.
Chutzpah of the first order!
I agree with Murphy and Merry. Either would be what I'd do; and I actually lean more to recommending a LAQ to her.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 AM

Return it to the person who gave it to you and explain what she needs to complete before it can be quilted. This is not your problem and she is not learning if you do it for her.
If you have trouble talking to her or getting her to listen, write a note and pin it to the quilt. Be gentle but firm when you give it back to her and tell her it is not ready for quilting. If she gets mad, maybe she will take it to someone else. :-)
Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I would tell her that after 2 years you've learned a lot and "This is a twin size quilt and I do not feel comfortable with quilting this size on my home machine", then give her the name of a long arm quilter in your area. She (he) can let her know if it's not quiltable, and she will also get an idea of the real cost of quilting.
I agree with this suggestion.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:51 AM

"I can't. There are too many things happening right now." End of conversation.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 AM

I agree. If she's truly interested in learning all about quilting, then the clipping of threads and pressing the seams is all part of that process. If you do that work for her, she'll never learn. When you give her the final bill, you should include the cost of the fabric from your stash.