Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how would you handle this? >

how would you handle this?

how would you handle this?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 PM

You are completely daffy if you continue with this quilt because she will never stop asking you for more and more and more favors. I would ask her, however, what your cut of the $400 is since you supplied most of the fabric and are now doing the quilting. You need to be addressing your concerns TO HER in a very clear. Don't even consider renting any kind of equipment to finish it. Don't incur one more cent of expense on her behalf. Print your original comments and all of the response and show them to her. If she never speaks to you again, call it a blessing.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM

I'm in great sympathy with your situation. But there's another step you can take other than "talking" to her. Give her a printed up copy of Instructions, such as the one I'm copy/pasting for you here. These are a professional long-arm quilter's Instructions to potential clients on how their quilt top must be prepared before they send it.

The three layers of your quilt will be loaded on the machine independently of one another. Please do not pin or baste them together.

The batting and backing should measure at least eight inches longer and eight inches wider than your quilt top. For example, if your quilt measures 60" x 80", the batting and backing should measure at least 68" x 88".

Quilt Top
Press seams well. Be sure the top lies flat. Ripples and "puffy" places will not necessarily quilt flat.

The top should be free of embellishments such as buttons and beads.

Clip all loose threads and be sure the seams have been pressed.

A row of stay stitching, applied ¼ inch or less from the edge of the quilt, will prevent stretching.

If your quilt has a definite "head," and you think I might not recognize it, please apply a piece of masking tape to identify it.

Batting
If you send batting, please check the package to be sure it is suitable for machine quilting.

Backing
Please trim off the selvage edges before seaming your backing. Sides should be straight, and the backing squared.

You will find other information from other professionals. Combine, or give her as much as you think necessary. In writing! So she can educate herself on what must be done. Then, make yourself conveniently unavailable to her. Nicely. She is your student, so educate her well. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:06 PM

I think you should give it back & be honest with her about your fabric investment, the issues with how it was pieced, etc. & the fact you aren't going to finish it for her. Your integrity is worth more than her ?? friendship?? & if its not a quilt you would be honored to add your name to, don't do it. Chalk the fabric & friendship loss up to a life experience & move on - don't dwell on it & beat yourself up. Life is too short to let someone live "rent free in your brain".
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Return it to her and tell her what needs to be done to make it quilting ready. Don't spend one thin dime on it your self and perhaps give her a bill for at least half of the 400 because the fabric was yours in the first place.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM

The hardest thing for any of us is confrontation. Definately let someone else quilt it and I don't think you should rent the machine! Youe 'friend' really has no idea of the time and effort that goes into quilting. Honesty is the best way to go.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
Return it to her and tell her what needs to be done to make it quilting ready. Don't spend one thin dime on it your self and perhaps give her a bill for at least half of the 400 because the fabric was yours in the first place.
Everyone says return it. Print up what needs to be done to it before quilting, pin it on the quilt and place it in a dark corner of the closet and wait for her to pick it up. It might take two years, but she probably never will and maybe then you can salvage some of it.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
Originally Posted by franie
Return it and say you are not comfortable with it. She can take it somewhere else and have it quilted. I returned one for that reason. It's best to be honest and up front. If she is so shallow as to toss you as a friend, I doubt you will lose much.
Completely agree with Franie!
Ditto here!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
Originally Posted by franie
Return it and say you are not comfortable with it. She can take it somewhere else and have it quilted. I returned one for that reason. It's best to be honest and up front. If she is so shallow as to toss you as a friend, I doubt you will lose much.
Completely agree with Franie!
I agree, you can only push friendship to a point. And to me that wouldn't be a friend I would really care how she felt or not. It's not your fault she did a rotten job on it, and you shouldn't have to fix it, buy batting, quilt etc. Stand up for yourself!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:12 PM
LMB

I would call her. I would tell her to come over. I would show her what is wrong, tell her to take it home and make it right, then bring it back. I would also inform her that there will be a charge if she wants anything else quilted, and make it a chunk. Girl... she is going to use you up if you dont nip it in the bud. I have been there and done that too many times!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
Thank you so much everyone for the strength you are all sending me....I have decided to return the quilt to her and tell her that it is not in quiltable condition. As far as the stash goes, I offered that freely and only mentioned it because in my mind I have given far more than I have expected to receive, and it surprises me that people can take and still expect more. I did agree to help quilt it 2 years ago, but as someone has mentioned, I have learned alot in those 2 years, and it cannot be quilted the way it is, by machine or by hand. She had no problem splitting the $400 with me, but; she did say are we going to have anything left to split after I buy the backing, batting, and rental of machine. The cost is coming out of my pocket first however because she is on disability and cannot afford it. I insisted that she got a deposit to cover these costs before I spent the money. It however does not cover the problems that she has left me to deal with, and I am very concerned about the possible issues that I will have quilting it, and the expectations of the person buying it will be. I will be returning it to her this weekend, putting the ball back in her court. I will tell her that I will reassess it after she has fixed the problems that I can see. The person that is buying it may back out if she has to wait too long, but then that will be her problem not mine and I haven't had to spend any more money. I don't think I can be any fairer than that!

When you take it back to her, why don't you offer to go with her to the LQS and ask their opinion on quilting it and a price that they would feel is appropriate.