Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you make this backing?? >

How would you make this backing??

How would you make this backing??

Old 09-13-2013, 04:38 PM

Default How would you make this backing??

I have a 81 inch by 81 inch quilt so I need an 89 by 89 backing. I was hoping to get a 108 inch wide backing but couldn't find anything in medium to light purple batik so I had to buy the standard 42 inch wide fabric. I am really happy with the color I picked and need to figure out how to cut the fabric to make the backing.

I purchased 8 yards. Would you use 2 cuts of 89 inches and sew them together so you would then have a piece that was approximately 80 to 82 inches by 89 and then add on a small strip that is 9 inches by 89 inches? Or, would you cut 3 pieces of 89 inches long and then cut the width to be 31 inches each so that it is essentially 3 equal widths of fabric. The first method is less wasteful of fabric but the second method would probably look the best assuming that the seams will be visible.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 PM

I vote for this way, as I think you would be happiest with the end results.

I would you cut 3 pieces of 89 inches long and then cut the width to be 31 inches each so that it is essentially 3 equal widths of fabric,

Old 09-13-2013, 05:05 PM

I agree. Seems like the best solution.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

ditto ... I'd probably go for three pieces, somewhat equal width, if I wanted a one fabric back.

That being said, ....... have you considered using something from the front to add in that extra 8"? Might be a strip of the fabric? or perhaps some extra blocks from the front? (I know that some quilts, one wants the plain back and this would not even be an option.)

Here's what I did for a backing when I had much the same predicament as you ..........
[ATTACH=CONFIG]435798[/ATTACH]

And here's what the front looked like ....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]435799[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails butterflies2010-14-.jpg   butterflies2010-12-.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

i would use 3 pieces for the backing but like the look of the center piece being the full wof
Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 PM

QuiltE--I love your butterfly quilt and the back complements the front so nicely. I have done mostly pieced backings with some fabrics from the front. In fact, several of my quilts are pretty much 2 sided as I did a complete quilt on each side. This one, however, I just really wanted a matching all one solid fabric backing as I want to do something special with the quilting (I am hoping to send this one to Charisma--she did a few for me last year and they as well as all of her work are so wonderful). This will be for my purple batik Big Star Little Star so I am really excited. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

Since you are sending the quilt out to be longarmed, are you aware that the backing seams should be across the width of the quilt? Traditionally the seams run from top to bottom. However, when a quilt is rolled on a frame, vertical seaming results in a buildup of bulk where the seams are. That is why longarmers typically ask quilter to run their backing seams from side to side. This keeps the quilt rolling evenly on the rollers.

I believe it is also better, when quilting on a frame, to iron the backing seams open. Not sure if that matters much or not, though. I think it is also best to allow .5" for seams in the backing fabric, to keep them strong.

Traditionally, in a situation such as yours, one would use a full width of fabric in the middle and add equal amounts to each side to get the total width. However, 3 panels of equal width would work fine too.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:52 PM

I like to add strips for needed width or length like QuiltE. Here are pictures of a baby quilt I recently finished. I didn't need TOO much more width, so I sliced up what I had and added some jelly roll strips I didn't need for the front. I like how it turned out...(I hate PIECING the backs..but I LOVE a scrappy back..go figure!)
Attached Thumbnails garnettibaby1.jpg   garnettibaby3.jpg  
Old 09-14-2013, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
QuiltE--I love your butterfly quilt and the back complements the front so nicely. I have done mostly pieced backings with some fabrics from the front. In fact, several of my quilts are pretty much 2 sided as I did a complete quilt on each side. This one, however, I just really wanted a matching all one solid fabric backing as I want to do something special with the quilting (I am hoping to send this one to Charisma--she did a few for me last year and they as well as all of her work are so wonderful). This will be for my purple batik Big Star Little Star so I am really excited. Thanks.
Thank you! There was something about that quilt when it was done ... just had a beautiful squishy cuddly feel to it, more so than many others. Guess it was just the right balance of quilting for the type of batting and fabrics used.

Now you have me wanting to see your Stars quilt top! puhleeeeeeeeeease?
I know what you mean ... as I said, not every quilt wants a pieced backing. One fabric is nice when you want to showcase the quilting, and ultimately, you have a 2nd quilt ... a whole cloth! Now that's a win-win!

Last edited by QuiltE; 09-14-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:01 AM

I love the use of front fabrics to "fill in width" along the back. I use my blocks that aren't quite perfect enough for the front on the back. I have even used simple squares of the front fabrics to fill in. This way, it doesn't have to be a block, and can be 2,3 or 4 squares.