Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you quilt this?

I need to start quilting this quilt and I'm just stumped as to how to quilt it. I only can quilt in straight lines and usually stitch in the ditch. I thought of stitching 1/4" each side of the seem on the sashing to give it some interest but really don't know what to do about the block itself. I don't want it too busy and labor intensive. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I"d definitly stitch around the cat. body, other than that, no idea. It sure looks cute !

I agree with the above comment.

Very cute quilt. I always have problems as to what to quilt when I need to quilt so I don't have any advice!

Blog Entries
    I think I would outline the butterfly bodies, then do curved butterfly butterfly wings over the square blocks. Just the outline of butterfly wings.

Banned
    Think about what is the focal point in the blocks. Something in the square pieces that represent wings might highlight the motif.

I agree w/ PaperPrincess.

If you only want to SID, how about doing that around the outside edges of the butterfly wings? That would make them stand out a bit, then finish up by SID around the outside edges of the blocks? Work with what you're comfortable with, and have fun with it. Very cute blocks, BTW.

No suggestions about quilting just wanted to tell you that is a really cute quilt. Did you applique the bodies of the butterflies?

Blog Entries
    i would stitch around the body of the butterfly and around the wings... maybee 1/8 inch inside seam?

Blog Entries
    I would do FMGing all over (a beige color thread)- Love how your quilt came out!

Blog Entries
    you can do curvy lines in the sashings easily. i do them with my walking/quilting foot on and just move the quilt to the left and right as i go along. that would give movement more than straight lines. have fun. Cute quilt!!

I love those squares, are they a pattern or where did you find out how to make them?>?

Blog Entries
    I really like butterfly blocks and this one is SO cute!

Here's a possible design that is done with all straight lines. Each butterfly could be completed before moving on to the next one by doing one set of wings, sewing across the middle of the body and doing the other set of wings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have no idea how I would quilt it but it sure is cute

Quote Originally Posted by KarenK

Here's a possible design that is done with all straight lines. Each butterfly could be completed before moving on to the next one by doing one set of wings, sewing across the middle of the body and doing the other set of wings.
    I really like this idea; however, I might stitch one side of the wings then stitch around the body to the other set of wings, then around the other part of the body back to where I began.

Banned
    You could do a continuous curve in the squares on the wings.

Oooo I think I can actually do this one! I really suck at Free motion quilting so this is just perfect. I really like minimal quilting.

Thanks so much!! And thanks to everyone for their ideas.

The pattern is one I found in one of those magazines that is called 100 blocks or something like that. When I'm down in my sewing room I'll try to find the exact name and issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks

I really like this idea; however, I might stitch one side of the wings then stitch around the body to the other set of wings, then around the other part of the body back to where I began.
    Yep... I think this is what I'll do. That way the body is quilted also

KarenK what a great idea! Mzooz it is going to be awesome! So pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    I"d definitly stitch around the cat. body, other than that, no idea. It sure looks cute !
    Ok where's the cat? Cute butterflies.

She meant caterpillar, not cat! There was a period after "cat."
    Of course it's a butterfly!

I wouldn't stitch across the body of the butterfly. That would cut it in half. Just stop at the stitching around the butterfly, don't bother to cut the threads, lift your needle and presser foot, pull them across the body of the butterfly, and start again on the other side. You can trim the threads across the body later.

If you really want to "bump up" those wings, try sewing them about 1/4" apart, or even less. A little more work, yes, but that will make the quilting significantly more obvious. As an alternative, you could do all of the wings at the same time, using a double needle. Just keep the needle centered down your marked line. (Am assuming here that your line will come off.) You could even use a thread color that would show up somewhat more obviously, if you wanted.

Whatever you do, have fun!

QM
    If you are not comfortable with FMQ, I would think KarenK's suggestion is a good one, maybe also quilting around the bodies (cutting across the curved parts.) If this too complex for your comfort zone, try SiTD for the sashing, then straight line quilt across the middle of each block in each direction.

I would stich 1/4" in (inside) each wing. And maybe just a line in the body. Love the blocks, would like to see it done...Donna

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast