Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would you quilt this??

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to start the quilting process on this quilt for my DIL. I will be using my walking foot since my FMQ experience is very limited. I would like some ideas for designs and thread color, please.

The backing is black flannel and the top is "Tamarack Grove" by Holly Taylor. The pattern is called "Window to Heaven", found in "Strip Delight 10 Fabulous Quilts from 'Jelly Roll' 2 1/2" Strips by Suzanne McNeill.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and ideas. :thumbup:

Windows to Heaven (pic shows fabs a bit lighter than they really are)
    Name:  Attachment-275677.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  91.1 KB

Here's a better pic of the colors
    Name:  Attachment-275683.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  124.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Love your pattern and the colors, great job!

How about stitch in the ditch?

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit
    How about stitch in the ditch?
    Maybe... In black, to match the backing, or??

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by mzzzquilts
    Love your pattern and the colors, great job!
    Thanks so much. It was jelly roll quilt day at our church one day a few years back. I'm just now getting it quilted. :oops: :roll: :lol: Better late than never, right?

Blog Entries
    nice job

Blog Entries
    since the walking foot is for straight lines- either stitch in the ditch or cross hatch would be good choices.

Very pretty

Blog Entries
    great quilt, sorry, no suggestion for quilting except that i wouldn't make it dense.

i would go with either an very bright orange or yellow thread -- will make those maroons pop

I would actually use a camel colored thread. it would look like a gold on this quilt. Just do an all over pattern such as a meandering or SID is just fine..It will make it a cozy quilt.

Camel colored thread. (Superior Threads Number 405)

I might stitch 1/4-inch on both sides of every seam. I would use a neutral color that blends with the colors in rhe quilt. Just my humble opinion.

Very carefully. Sorry but I just had to say that. :D It is a very pretty quilt and would like to see it when done.
    Hope you don't mind my sense of humor.

stitch in the ditch black thread to match the back

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    since the walking foot is for straight lines- either stitch in the ditch or cross hatch would be good choices.
    There is a new walking foot by Viking but it also fits other machines; it's called an interchangeable walking foot. You can reverse, zig zag and do the fancy stitches with it as well. It has several different feet that you can get in addition to the straight and zig zag foot that comes with it. I've gotten the 1/4 in and rolled hem one in addition so far. I don't remember what all machines it's compatible but a google search would show it.

Blog Entries
    I like the caramel color idea with stitch in the ditch. I think an overall pattern would lose your design. Just my opinion

That is a beauty! Has a warm and snuggly look :) Great job!

Do you have any embroidery stitches? I can still use my walking foot on my machine with embroidery stitches - have done a few quilts where I use a variety of the fancy stitches - sometimes just inside a seam, sometimes right on a seam (the stitches are wide enough that this really stabilizes everything), sometimes down the middle of a strip.

So my suggestion would be to use a honey/caramel thread as suggested, do a few different fancy stitches down and across each row. Another line either in the middle or just on the outside of the narrow border.

Have fun!

Since the quilt is all straight lines, I would try something circular or swirly in a thread color that will mostly disappear into the print of the fabrics. If you want a puffier look, SITD would work, but is harder to do and make look ok. Even a panto in almost any design would work because of the neutrality of the quilt pattern, so in my opinion, you have lots of choices. The quilt is very pretty, love the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaM
    That is a beauty! Has a warm and snuggly look :) Great job!

Do you have any embroidery stitches? I can still use my walking foot on my machine with embroidery stitches - have done a few quilts where I use a variety of the fancy stitches - sometimes just inside a seam, sometimes right on a seam (the stitches are wide enough that this really stabilizes everything), sometimes down the middle of a strip.

So my suggestion would be to use a honey/caramel thread as suggested, do a few different fancy stitches down and across each row. Another line either in the middle or just on the outside of the narrow border.

Have fun!
    Yes, I have some decorative stitches, is that what you are referring to? If so, I've often used my Serpentine stitch lined up with the center of the seam or with diagonal lines one or both directions.

I think you and other posters that have suggested a carmel/honey color of thread are right on. I just happen to have some here. :thumbup: Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    Since the quilt is all straight lines, I would try something circular or swirly in a thread color that will mostly disappear into the print of the fabrics. If you want a puffier look, SITD would work, but is harder to do and make look ok. Even a panto in almost any design would work because of the neutrality of the quilt pattern, so in my opinion, you have lots of choices. The quilt is very pretty, love the colors.
    I was already thinking along these lines, but trying to figure out what I could do with a walking foot that would be circular or swirly. Thanks so much for your suggestions and compliments. :thumbup:

I agree with just how difficult SITD can be. That's why I use the Serpentine stitch a lot instead; much more forgiving, especially with my mature eyes! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    There is a new walking foot by Viking but it also fits other machines; it's called an interchangeable walking foot. You can reverse, zig zag and do the fancy stitches with it as well. It has several different feet that you can get in addition to the straight and zig zag foot that comes with it. I've gotten the 1/4 in and rolled hem one in addition so far. I don't remember what all machines it's compatible but a google search would show it.
    I'm pretty sure I can do all those things with my Bernina walking foot. I could not find where the Viking walking foot could be used for machines other than Vikings.

Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by epson233
    i would go with either an very bright orange or yellow thread -- will make those maroons pop
    Now, those are colors I would not have thought about. I'm not very experienced with colors, so am having a hard time visualizing this. Thanks so much for your reply and ideas. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey
    I would actually use a camel colored thread. it would look like a gold on this quilt. Just do an all over pattern such as a meandering or SID is just fine..It will make it a cozy quilt.
    Thanks for the suggestion. You and some other posters have suggested this color. I'm going to get mine out and see what it looks like. Sure sounds pretty. :thumbup:

Which of the three thread choices below do you like?

Here are three different carmel and honey type threads I have. For some reason, I just can't get the red to appear like the maroon it is.
    Name:  Attachment-275819.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  187.1 KB

I like the one in the center

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast