Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Would You Quilt This? >

How Would You Quilt This?

How Would You Quilt This?

Old 08-16-2017, 03:21 PM

Default How Would You Quilt This?

I was supposed to finish this for a co-worker, but didn't get it done in time so gave her something else, which worked out well because now I have it available to work on as my first quilt on a long arm.

Any ideas on how to quilt it? Open to anything. (Not saying I'll be able to pull it off...)

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579005[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails babytrianglesmall.jpg  
Old 08-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

I would quilt a circle in each little yellow square and from each circle, start flower petals into the adjoining rectangles and possibly across (or along) the HSTs as well. Another option is to do a consistent big swirl into the HSTs along with the petals.

Imo it needs curvy quilting for the straight lines of the design.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

how about something like this in each HST
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579007[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails temp.bmp  
Old 08-16-2017, 03:54 PM

That's so pretty & colorful. I don't have a suggestion for quilting but recently I've been watching Angela Walters & she has some free patterns & quilting designs that you can get from Craftsy.com
If you go there & do a search for Angela Walters it will bring up 20 different classes/patterns/free stuff & you can download the free quilting designs on a few of them. Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

Since it is for practice, I might put a different fill design in each square. Cute top!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I mostly do FMQ, a large meander, large stipple. Don't know if it is appropriate, just know I love it and love doing it.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:38 PM

since you are wanting to use for LA practice, why not do some type of continual design in the sashings (i.e. scrolls, leaves, etc) and then maybe continuous curves in the colored part of the HST (curves make it so easy to move from place to place, and then try out some different patterns in the white (such as some of the Angela Walters designs) and a simple narrow design on the border.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

I would try whatever it is you want to do most on the LA. IOW if you want to learn how to do feathers, do feathers on this. If you want to learn pebbling, stencil work, ruler work etc do those techniques on this. The first quilt I loaded on my LA, My first quilt off the longarm I knew I wanted to teach myself how to work with stencils and do pebbling so I did that in the border. I also wanted to try my hand at concentric circle swirl motifs so I put some of those in. Practice what you want to become proficient at.

Additionally I agree with quiltingshortimer, continuous curves are an invaluable technique to master.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:56 AM

I have no idea about how to quilt it as I send my quilts out to be quilted. Just wanted to tell you how beautiful your quilt is. Love the colors.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I would try whatever it is you want to do most on the LA. IOW if you want to learn how to do feathers, do feathers on this. If you want to learn pebbling, stencil work, ruler work etc do those techniques on this. The first quilt I loaded on my LA, My first quilt off the longarm I knew I wanted to teach myself how to work with stencils and do pebbling so I did that in the border. I also wanted to try my hand at concentric circle swirl motifs so I put some of those in. Practice what you want to become proficient at.

Additionally I agree with quiltingshortimer, continuous curves are an invaluable technique to master.
Feline--I could ogle your quilting all day long! Watson--in her first example she used a wishbone in the border too--that's another great technique to learn as you can really move across a quilt both sashing and borders, use it in triangles, squares, rectangles, even circles and ovals--turning corners you can just put an orange peel in the corner and then keep moving.