Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you respond to this? >

How would you respond to this?

How would you respond to this?

Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 AM

She's a very nice lady who comes to many of your classes.... Very nice ladies will usually behave and pay for the class. A very nice lady who comes to many classes should get a half price or free admittance , especially if she wants to be with a shy friend. When you love on people they tend to love back.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Quilting candy nailed it on the head!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:29 AM
pal

My Dad taught me that "what takes nerve to ask - takes NO nerve to refuse". Personally, I think it is very nervy to tell you that she is coming with her friend and to assume that it is alright with you.

Last edited by pal; 04-12-2015 at 06:30 AM. Reason: additional thought
Old 04-12-2015, 06:32 AM

Please let us know how this turns out!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Ok, so you say this is the third time you have found yourself in this situation... Then it's high time to have a policy or response formulated in your mind. By now you should be ready with what you need to say. Whether it is "I don't allow visitors in my classes", or "I can offer you a 10% discount on the class for referring a friend", or whatever you want to say, you should be ready by now to say something to remain in control of your class environment. You have to have that much control before you can teach anybody anything.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:23 AM

I have often wondered if this is how Fons and Porter hooked up. Fons took Porter's class and then took over.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
I have a shy friend that wants me to go along w her to Disneyland. Can I go for free??? Same shy friend want me to accompany her to the movies. Can I go for free??? As I see it, the same applies here? Only tact will be required.
Yeah I can see Disneyland going along with that hahaha. Maybe the friend is going to pay her way. That would be what I would do if I wanted a sidekick. But that being said I would not like the distraction of trying to learn and listen to chit chat Toni
Old 04-12-2015, 07:33 AM

It's not fair to the people who paid for the class....
Old 04-12-2015, 08:41 AM

I would have to disagree with the suggestion that a "very nice Lady" should get a discount or allowed free admission because she's attended classes before. First, this is a private studio attached to the instructor's residence. Second, if she allows someone who is not a paying attendee to attend, she loses whatever tuition would have been earned for that seat. The OP suggested that "class size is small". The idea of someone attending a class with a new friend (and not paying for the class) is all wrong from the start and should be obvious to anyone. The instructor needs to make it very clear at the first class session that only paying students are admitted! I've taught vocational classes before (held at a local community college. As an instructor, you must remain in control, as the owner of the property where the class is held, the instructor is very much required to maintain control! As the instructor, I was responsible to the Community College as well, to make certain the amounts due to the college were paid, based on those who were ATTENDING the class. JMHO!!

Jeanette
Old 04-12-2015, 10:37 AM

A simple answer would be to call her and tell her "all the seats are now taken by paying students, so there will not be room for spectators, and you knew she would understand, but you can't wait to see her in another advanced class." Gets the message across without any uncomfortable confrontation. (If the seats are not all full at class, you can always remark something about inconsiderate people not calling you, and move on.) Everybody stays happy.

You could also ask her to bring her friend by a day or two early so she will know you at least. I love it when people offer this because I am shy too!

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-12-2015 at 10:44 AM.