Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How young is too young??? >

How young is too young???

How young is too young???

Old 01-04-2018, 02:27 AM

All of these ideas are great. I just have one more. Don't get a toy machine. They have a tendency to jam etc. Learning on a real machine is much less frustrating.
I don't think she is too young. Enjoy making the memories together.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:12 AM

I started sewing around age 5 on a Wheeler and Wilson treadle machine. I made doll clothes out of scraps my dad would bring home from an office in a building where he worked. I learned to make yo-yos also. My mom got an electric machine, a Singer 201 soon thereafter. I made my first dress out of feed sacks when I was 9. I have sewed ever since and still love to sew. I taught home ec. quilting classes and I sewed for the public for years. I have taught some of my grandchildren to sew. It stuck for some and not for others. They do need supervision; but, that is part of the fun of spending time with them. I say, go for it.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:28 AM

I would like to teach my 5yr old grand daughter, but I do not get to spend much time with her, as she lives 2 hrs away. I think she has the ability to concentrate but just not enough time.
Bummer
Mike
Old 01-04-2018, 05:48 AM

I started sewing at age 5 on my mother's 1930's Singer, was making my own clothes by age 10. My granddaughter loved to spend time sewing with me, so when she was 5 I bought her a sewing machine. She kept it here at my house, and used to ask her mom to come for a sleepover so she could sew. When she was about 13 she made her first quilt. And this year she took the sewing machine off to college with her and made her curtains for her apartment. It is so gratifying to hear her say that she just HAS to sew something.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 AM

I taught my grands to sew when they were 7 or 8. One made and hung a quilt in the psych ward in our local hospital when she was 9.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:52 AM

My 5 year old grandson made a pillow case. I set my machine at the slowest speed and sat in the chair while he stood at the machine. He was very proud of his accomplishment.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 AM

I am so grateful for the ideas and comments. I will start without the needle and then add a thread guard when the needle returns (lined paper first)!! We thank you so much--looking forward to having a quilt buddy for years to come!! will try to post pics when we get going!!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 AM

My older daughter used to sit on my lap and sew with me from age 3. I'd let her guide the fabric from the outer edge of the sewing machine until I knew she wouldn't get too close to the needle. I made all her clothes from birth to high school & she loved watching me sew.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 AM

I teach kids as young as 6. They make tote bags, messenger bags and one boy made a boogie board cover. I have them use school chalk (easier to hold) to make lines and then use scissors to cut. I put blue painters tape on the machine to use as their seam gauge line and work VERY HARD to make sure they learn to keep their fingers away from the presser foot. I have a lower table and chair for them to use so they can sit comfortably with their feet on the floor (one girl needed a little stepstool for the foot pedal). You would be amazed at how well they do and how well they follow direction. And, I can absolutely guarantee there is no better feeling than watching them complete a project on their own!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:41 AM

She will be fine with close supervision. My daughter finger pressed (I ironed), she cut with scissors (I used the rotary cutter), I drew sewing lines, she learned to thread the machine and to fill bobbins. There are books available about sewing with children. Control is often taught by either sewing stripes, or by drawing lines and broad squiggles on paper.