Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ16 owners--I need help >

HQ16 owners--I need help

HQ16 owners--I need help

Old 05-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Humidity can have an effect, cause the thread to swell a tiny bit, especially if you use cotton. Is your machine in an air conditioned space?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 PM

Yes, it has air-conditioning, but I don't turn it on until I go to quilt. My machine is in a separate bldg in our backyard. I did run the heat all winter on a low setting, but I don't run the A/C. Maybe, I should take my thread and keep it in the house???
Old 05-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Well, folks, I went again this afternoon to see if my joy was short-lived. It is doing a nice stitch, except when I take curves or loops, then I see tiny bobbin stitches peeking through. And, I tried going as slow as I could without the SR messing up. going straight, the stitches are fine. My practice sandwich, is a little thinner than my "real" quilt, so I'm hoping tomorrow when I try the "real deal" again, maybe those little peek-a-boos will sink in???????
Old 05-29-2011, 05:46 PM

BTW, are the Gross-Beckert needles better than the HQ needles? Enlighten me on the needles. I sometimes think my needle is not long enough or something. Someone said these GB needles are longer, but did you mean longer than the HQ needles? If they are, looks like that would mess things up with the bobbin mechanism?????
Old 05-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by misoop
BTW, are the Gross-Beckert needles better than the HQ needles? Enlighten me on the needles. I sometimes think my needle is not long enough or something. Someone said these GB needles are longer, but did you mean longer than the HQ needles? If they are, looks like that would mess things up with the bobbin mechanism?????
I ordered my needles from HQ and they are Gross-Beckert needles.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:22 PM

misoop:
I know how upsetting this can be have had the same thinga
on mine. First is your needel in the right way?

With the grove in the front. ( dont mean to insult you)
What kind of bobbin winder do you use and how is the tension onthem?

Take your bobbin inthe case and look across the bobbin at eye level. Is the bobbin even with the edge of the holder?
It should be flat across the back edges even. If not remove
the bobbin,inside the holder as you look into it on the bottom you will see a flat like spring, use a pair of tweesers or your fingernail and lift the spring slightly
testing until it is level with the back edge of the holder.

You might also remove the needle and the needle plate and check to make sure the shuttle is free and clean (as long as you are there you might as well add a drop of oil).
Of course turn your machine off before hand. turn the fly
whell to make sure the oil spreads and there is no lint .

No insult to you but had mine looked at and that took care of the problem. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 AM

I have the Towa bobbin tension gauge and the Top tension gauge.I don't use the top tension gauge so much.But I do use the bobbin one a lot.When you buy one or the other ,superior has video's you can watch on your computer., and you get a paper telling you what tension you should be at.If you don't have that paper you can print it out from superior.Just put in what kind of Machine you have and print it out. P.S don't care for top tension gauge...
Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 AM

just jumping in without reading all the pages (only pg 1)
the long stitches sounds like your stitch regulator is not making contact, push all the contections sometimes they get a little loose but feel like it.

It took me awhile to get my tension just right, my top is on the tight side when I pull the machine aside but my back and top stitches look awesome. The last time I had a thread break I changed the needle and no more breakage.

back to read more pages.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:58 AM

I have had my HQ16 for 3.5 years, been there done that.
I no longer fill my bobbins completely, I manually stop the bobbin winder before completely filling, eliminated alot of issues.

Originally Posted by misoop
Eastermarie...I'll do that. As I've found out on my quilts, it WILL happen again...just hope not as bad as this was!!! Still can't figure out what caused it to happen, when it was going along just fine....then I had to refill a bobbin and Wham!! There was no lint, threads, etc....stopping up anything. Makes you wonder. I've had this to happen before when I had to refil a bobbin and start again. Any ideas, anyone? If so, I'd like to know....I'll try to avoid that, too. :)
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 AM

Sandy S...thanks for all the tips...I have done most of them already. It's doing better, but still have some tiny peeks of bobbin showing around my curves and loops. I've turned my top tension just a little bit to keep seeing if I can correct it....just doesn't seem to have spot that will correct it. My bottom tension looks great. I'm hoping that when I quilt my "real" quilt (Not my sandwich practice) that those little peeks will disappear into the quilt.