Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: HST Ideas

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Van. Island, BC
    Posts
    1,200
    Blog Entries
    1

    HST Ideas

    Our quilting group played a game. We passed a wrapped package around ( musical chairs), we packaged things we no longer wanted. Anyway I won . The package contained about 100 HST's (3.5inches). Any ideas on a pattern using HST's.
    True4uca

  2. #2
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    Quote Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
    Our quilting group played a game. We passed a wrapped package around ( musical chairs), we packaged things we no longer wanted. Anyway I won . The package contained about 100 HST's (3.5inches). Any ideas on a pattern using HST's.
    Find a site that has lots of 9 patch designs and 4 patch designs. Many use HST exclusively.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  3. #3
    Super Member LoisM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Highland, CA
    Posts
    1,403
    What a great swap to receive. And I agree with GrannieAnnie. You can use them in any 4 patch (or 9 patch) configuration. You can mix and match the resulting 4 patches with solid blocks.

  4. #4
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,278
    Here's one. Think I copied this from someone on the board.

    Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

  5. #5
    Super Member trif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange county, CA
    Posts
    1,491
    Lucky you! Have fun with them, you can always use them to make a bunch of table runners for gifts.

  6. #6
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,161
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Here's one. Think I copied this from someone on the board.

    Jan in VA
    I like that quilt, Jan. Great idea.

  7. #7
    Jim
    Jim is offline
    Super Member Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bardstown, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,189
    100 HST's would be the 4 corners for 25 churn dash blocks
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

  8. #8
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    I'm going to watch this for ideas. My church quilting group did a swap of Bright Batik half square triangles. I have about 430 of them and am the last of the bunch (6 of us) to figure out what I want to do with them. Everyone else has their tops done and one gal has already started quilting. I am so far behind....


    My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Van. Island, BC
    Posts
    1,200
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Here's one. Think I copied this from someone on the board.

    Jan in VA
    I have just finished the Barn Raising Quilt ( the one Jan posted). I had won some 6 inch HST'a a long time ago.My quilting group had heard me moan about them since forever. Makes me think the 3.5 inch set was rigged so I would end up with them. Now I'm determined to use them. Thinking maybe I'll trim them to 3 inches & make a Carpenter's Wheel. I'd rather cut plain 3 inch blocks than make more HST's
    True4uca

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Phila suburb
    Posts
    34
    Moda Bake Shop has a pattern on there right now. Looks very simple.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,587
    do a google search for half square triangle quilts...OMG the images you will see!
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

  12. #12
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    For clarification--------------I use the term 9 patch to refer to any pattern that has a 3 main pieces by 3 main pieces pattern. And for 4 patch, any pattern that uses 4 main pieces by 4 main pieces. Each of those pieces may include more than just a couple pieces.

    In my files, even the beloved Charpenter's Wheel is listed as a 4 patch, since it can be done as 4 separate patches.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    3,364
    There are a zillion things you can do. One of the best books I purchased (quite some time ago) was Triangles on a Roll: Old and new ways of using Half and Quarter Square triangles.

  14. #14
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    Follow up on my comments on ways to use HST----------

    Once again, I am going to recommend my favorite, "go to" book for quilt designs. Wonderful source for the old standards. I've never gotten any positive response from posters here, but that's their loss. Quite a few copies of this book are available used from Amazon.

    I will warn you, this paperback book is one that the pages are glued to a spine. After laying the book open to copy pages, they tend to loosen from the spine. I use mine so much that I simply bought the page saver sheets and put all the pages into a loose leaf folder. Really does come in handy when needing a pattern copied or to show someone.

    One Thousand and One Patchwork Designs (Paperback)
    by Maggie Malone
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  15. #15
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,278
    GrannieAnnie,
    I'm so sorry you feel you've had no positive responses here on the board. I believe it happens that so often when someone agrees, they simply don't post. It's like the negatives about a business -- where you hear all the complaints but rarely the kudos if they are doing things right.

    Maggie Malone's book is a wonderful oldie but goodie, thanks for mentioning it.
    You can take these "spine bound" paperbacks to places like Kinkos and have them spiral bound or hole-punched for putting into a binder; makes these books easier to use.

    Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

  16. #16
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,579
    Blog Entries
    19
    I like the one posted by Jan.

    GrannieAnnie, I just ordered the book you recommended from Amazon for $.99. They had them as low as $.01, but there was no description of the condition, so I sprung for the $.99 one. I'm sure I'll like it. As a relatively new quilter, I appreciate voices of experience.

  17. #17
    Super Member mike'sgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    starke,Florida
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Follow up on my comments on ways to use HST----------

    Once again, I am going to recommend my favorite, "go to" book for quilt designs. Wonderful source for the old standards. I've never gotten any positive response from posters here, but that's their loss. Quite a few copies of this book are available used from Amazon.

    I will warn you, this paperback book is one that the pages are glued to a spine. After laying the book open to copy pages, they tend to loosen from the spine. I use mine so much that I simply bought the page saver sheets and put all the pages into a loose leaf folder. Really does come in handy when needing a pattern copied or to sh

    One Thousand and One Patchwork Designs (Paperback)
    by Maggie Malone
    You can also have a book spiral-back bound at a copy center. Gina

  18. #18
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,332
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like the one Jan posted, and this is another fave. It's called the Depression block, you can do it scrappy.

    http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html

    Name:  redo.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  251.6 KBName:  images.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  15.6 KB

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Van. Island, BC
    Posts
    1,200
    Blog Entries
    1

    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I like the one Jan posted, and this is another fave. It's called the Depression block, you can do it scrappy.

    http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html

    Name:  redo.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  251.6 KBName:  images.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  15.6 KB
    Life got in the way of my starting the carpenter's wheel I was thinking of doing, already did one. Now I am going to do this Depression quilt. Everyone has been so very helpful.
    True4uca

  20. #20
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    GrannieAnnie,
    I'm so sorry you feel you've had no positive responses here on the board. I believe it happens that so often when someone agrees, they simply don't post. It's like the negatives about a business -- where you hear all the complaints but rarely the kudos if they are doing things right.

    Maggie Malone's book is a wonderful oldie but goodie, thanks for mentioning it.
    You can take these "spine bound" paperbacks to places like Kinkos and have them spiral bound or hole-punched for putting into a binder; makes these books easier to use.

    Jan in VA
    If people ignore a book like Maggie's, it's their loss, I'm sorry for them. I much prefer the page savers since it drag the pages around here then and yonder.

    But thank you for the comments.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  21. #21
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I like the one Jan posted, and this is another fave. It's called the Depression block, you can do it scrappy.

    http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html

    Name:  redo.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  251.6 KBName:  images.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  15.6 KB
    I've always loved blue/lavender together. this is going to be a fantastic quilt.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.