Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HST Papers to print on home printer >

HST Papers to print on home printer

HST Papers to print on home printer

Old 02-27-2015, 03:59 AM

Jan in VA: Thank you. That is exactly what I"m looking for. I'll give it a try today on some scrap. No paper to remove! Perfect.
SVAL
Old 02-27-2015, 05:38 AM

I've had great results from the 8 at a time method mentioned previously. I too use slightly larger squares (i.e. 10 inch squares instead of 9 & 7/8 when I need 4 inch finished hsts) and then trim if needed. I really like the grid method Jan in VA posted - I will be using that next time I need more than 8 of the same fabrics. The 8 at a time is essentially the corner of her grid, so no bias edges either.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:41 AM

I use triangulations software, regular copy paper, never had a problem removing paper.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:57 AM

I use Jan in VA's method all the time when i'm making bunches of HSTs....only i draw on graph paper (so i am sure of the finished size of the square) and then make copies....number you get per page depends on size of finished square you want.....regular copy paper works just fine - but if you can get a lighter weight copy paper it's a little better - you just need to shorten your stitch length - i use 1.5.

Last edited by PenniF; 02-27-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:46 AM

When I was making a Irish Chain quilt that had it felt like hundreds of hst I did it the way Jan described except that I didn't do it on paper I was taught to do this technique on fabric. It worked wonderfully, so anytime I need lots of hst this is the method I use. Hope this helps you out.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 AM

Jan in VA: Thank you. That is exactly what I"m looking for. I'll give it a try today on some scrap. No paper to remove! Perfect.
SVAL
Jan: Another question? I made a trial grid of 4.5 inch blocks. My HST's are 4". Is that right or did I goof? That's a lot to trim off.
Also, if I need to make 13 blocks to yield 26 HST's, what's the best configuration to get a continious sewing line?
SVAL
Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
When I was making a Irish Chain quilt that had it felt like hundreds of hst I did it the way Jan described except that I didn't do it on paper I was taught to do this technique on fabric. It worked wonderfully, so anytime I need lots of hst this is the method I use. Hope this helps you out.
So what size would the blocks be to get 3.5 inch finished HST's? I'm not at all good with math. I tried making a sample of 16 blocks at 4.5 inches. They came out over 4". That's to much to trim off. What's the formula?
SVAL