Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HSTs from strips  Help needed >

HSTs from strips Help needed

HSTs from strips Help needed

Old 02-05-2011, 05:02 PM

At one time, I think I read a post on this board, but maybe it was a link, on how to cut HSTs from two strips that were sewn on both sides. It wasn't Rhonda's tute which was easily found during a search.

My problem is I want to make the HSTs to finish at 3" but not at all sure how wide the strips should be and where to meaure from, the strip edge or the stitching for a specific size. I don't own a Wondercut ruler and want to use my available rulers.

Is anyone aware of a chart for the size strips needed for specific finished sizes of HSTs?

These are the rulers I have to work with:
F&P Half and Quarter ruler
Easy Angle 6 1/2
And several others with a 45º line.

Diane
Old 02-05-2011, 05:59 PM

If you want to make 3" finished half-square triangles, your strips should be cut 3-7/8". I personally cut them 4" and trim them down a little. You don't need any special rulers. Any ruler with a 45 degree angle should work fine.

When you have your strips cut, mark them into squares the size you cut your strip. Then mark corner to corner on the diagonal and sew 1/4" on each side of the drawn line. Cut them apart on the drawn lines. I cut the lines for the squares first, then the diagonal line. Start in one corner of the first square (say the upper left, down to the lower right), the the opposite direction on the next square, across your strip. This makes it easy to sew continuously across the strip. Then turn around and come back across the strip on the opposite side of your diagonal lines. Each square will make 2 half-square triangles. Press them open, then square them up. Your easy angle 6 1/2 ruler should be perfect for this. It's the one I use.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM

On the quiltercache.com, many of the quilts there use strips to make HST. I also oversize them a little (4 inches instead of 3 7/8 inches). Put two strips right sides together, and mark with ruler every 4 inches to make it look like squares all down the strip. Then, use the 45 degree ruler to mark the diagonals, in a wave pattern.
Sew a scant 1/4 inch seam on each side of the marks down the strip, turn around and do the other side. When finished, cut on solid lines, between the stitching and the squares, and you have like 20 HST.
Trim to size (I use the Elenor Burns square up ruler), open and press.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 PM

Thank you so much for the reply but I think you are misunderstanding what I am looking for.

I know how to make HSTs from strips by sewing on the diagonal after drawing the grid. It drives me crazy to mark, sew, cut, square up, so I prefer not to do that anymore.

In this case, I am looking for the technique where you sew two strips together on both sides, forming a tube. Then you use a 45º ruler to cut the strips into triangles, alternating up and down, where the tips come just below the seams, no waste. The HSTs are on the bias this way, and the sewing line is on the grain line. It's like cutting triangles out of a strip.

I thought I had saved the technique but I just can't find it in logical places! This method does create dogears, but seemed so much faster and more accurate, but I can't find the darn chart for the sizes needed!

Diane
Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 PM

I think you are thinking of Rhonda's cut down method. If you go under the search button and type in Rhonda's HST I believe you will come up with a tut. Just tried it and it does work. However, I do not think she give measurement for how wide to cut your strips. I would take some scraps and try with them first. K
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Cozy Quilt Designs has the Strip Tube ruler which I think uses this technique.

http://www.cozyquilt.com/Features/StripTubing.aspx
Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 PM

Thanks or asking this question. I also would like info on how this is done.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Are you thinking of the Missouri Quilt Company's video on how to make hst's by sewing on all four sides of the squares and cutting four hst's? The video is at
http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/ha...-made-easy.htm
Old 02-05-2011, 07:53 PM

I believe I posted a few links to this method. Can you check my posts...
might be about jelly rolls strips. I have to rush back to work. Will check when I come back and post if you haven't found it.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 PM

I worked it out on paper and I came to the conclusion that I need 2.5" strips, and then a bell went off! I don't think I saved the technique and size charts because it was an easy formula. The strips need to be 1/2 inch smaller than the finished size of the HST. Now to test it out!~
Diane.