Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hubbies who quilt! >

Hubbies who quilt!

Hubbies who quilt!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 PM

My daughter or husband don't quilt but both go fabric shopping with me. They help me decide on lay outs when I need help.
D
Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM

My DH has mentioned he might like to make a quilt using a treadle machine, of which we have many. That might have to wait until retirement. In the meantime, he helps me with color choices, the math when I want to change a pattern, figuring out how to make a certain template and overall support. He's a keeper!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=DOTTYMO;6127522]. I tend to leave it to quilting colleagues to get in touch with me because I am concerned about interrupting their family times.[/QUOTE

I don't know any quilter friends who are concerned about another quilting friend interrupting their family time. Don't let that thought stop you from calling about a play date.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:00 PM

I didn't know anyone that quilted, and tried to get those I know interested in.. It didn't work. I met a wonderful board member that introduced me to a friend of hers, and I ended up going to a quilt show with both, and ended up going to a couple of shows with her friend.. The timing wasn't right for the board member, but we will eventually hang out, and I can see a lot of fun in the future with both..
Old 06-17-2013, 04:18 PM

I to have no quilting buddy or a quilting husband, but the board is the best for the help and support. He dose tell me if I use bigger peices at wouldn't take so long to make it. He dosen't like for me to be in the sew room when his home, he finds thing that I have to go help him when I'm in the sew room. It was his mother that get me in to quilting so he dosen't say much about the my quilting he just dosen't like it. he is sure I have to much fabric, to many books, to much anything quilting. So maybe you should count youself luck that your husband dose not quilt.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM

One time I saw my previous Schwan's man at the LQS picking out fabrics... he told me his wife loved to quilt but felt she had no color sense and he did. So after that we would talk a little quilting when he came!

I don't know how I would feel about my DH sharing my quilting. In some respects it might be fun. But I think I like that we have separate hobbies and understand that we enjoy them, invest in them and can do our own thing with no problems between us. I crave my alone time at home and his hobbies are away from home (fishing, golfing, running, poker) so it really works for us!

He is a teacher and I'm glad he keeps busy in the summer. In the winter I'll do some handwork on nights when he is home but it's no big deal if I don't.

Interesting topic for sure!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 PM

I don't really want my husband to start quilting. However, he does keep my machines in running order! My 7700 needed to go to the shop but I couldn't find my warranty card. So, since were going to have to pay to get it fixed anyway, he took the whole thing apart underneath. He found the problem. Actually, it was all just the lint gumming up the works underneath. I have been conscientious about cleaning from above, but a lot of stuff was down in the metal parts that you aren't supposed to touch (if under warranty).

Anyway, it's not the first time he's helped me keep my machines going....and for that I'm thankful. I'm also thankful he hasn't started sewing nor does he act very interested and I'm fine with that. He likes working with metal and fixing things.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 AM

My husband doesn't quilt but he is involved in many other ways. He goes with me to quilt shows & fabric shopping. He is very supportive in many other ways.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:04 AM

My SO doesn't quilt, but he is interested in what I do. He has gone to quilt shows and enjoys them, will sometimes go fabric shopping with me, but only if I'm not going to spend a lot of time. He has his golf and fishing, I've got my sewing room.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 AM

My husband does not quilt, but helps me with color since I have macular degeneration. He did upholster one of his antique cars and did a fine job. He is Mr. Fixit and he keeps everything running smoothly and is supportive of my quilting.