Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hubbies who quilt! >

Hubbies who quilt!

Hubbies who quilt!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:23 AM

I piece and he golfs.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 AM

My DH loves the idea of quilting. His DGM would sit for hours and piece. He loved to watch her. He always wanted me to take up quilting but never had time until we retired. THEN, he decided he would also start quilting. Well, he loves the idea of quilting, loves to look at material and loves to tell me what colors, patterns, I should use. He started his own quilt top 4 years ago and is still pulling it our every 3 or 4 months and works on it for an hour or so and then packs it up again. No, I don't want him to share in this with me. This is MY hobby and I need it just for me. I'm going to join a Guild next month and it's not something he can share with me. I don't go with him and his buddies when they play golf and tell then what they're doing wrong, so......I'm wanting the same thing from him. This is my outlet from the 24/7 that comes with retirement.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
He doesn't quilt and I don't hunt! That being said, if there were lobsters running wild in the woods, I just might be tempted to go over to the dark side. Hubby knows his way around a sewing machine. He has designed and made several of his own ice fishing tents and did a wonderful job. We do share a common area. My so-called sewing room is decorated with deer horns, his gun cabinet and his fly tying bench. Seldom are we occupying it simultaneously. Seriously, he is so good mathematically and with machinery, he would make a wonder LAQer.
I'm with you- he goes hunting and I quilt! He's an engineer, too, so when I ask him for measurements, it's logical but not pleasing to the eye LOL!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM

My DH is not my quilting buddy! His way is the only right way and I'm not into that. If someone can show me an easier way, that's what I want, but to him there is only one way and that's his way. So I have a quilt room on the upper floor of the house and he's two floors away in the basement watching TV. I clean the house (which I admit is low on my list of must do's), help mow, keep the camper clean, do the laundry, dishes, cook, etc. and work a full time job. When I get a chance to go to "my room" I go. Usually isn't for a long time, but it's MY time. I did a shophop with friends once and I just can't do that anymore. Bad knees and a C-Pap keep me from spending one night here and another there and standing in lines. I'm okay with where my room is, I have stash and my once every two months Walmart run keep me well supplied in thread, materials and notions! I really can't spend the money for retreats. I'd love the "getting together with the girls", but $100 for a weekend of sewing when it's free upstairs, is just over my limits. The only thing I miss is a friend.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 AM

I am a very lucky lady, my DH just finished his 1st quilt this year and is working on another. Or will finish his 2nd quilt when he heals from arm and hand surgery he had last week. He loves fabric and thread. Ladies I hit the jack pot with this man, he talks me into buying more than I intended too. The LQS ladies LOVE him at the local fabric shop!... He is a wonderful DH in so many ways, can't sing his praises enough!...
Penny
Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM

Wow! I'm hurt. I am a quilting hubby and my wife of 27+ years (so far) is my support. I was raised in a large family that all quilted and sewed. Sewing and quilting has been in my blood for as long as I can remember, even all those many years in the military. Now, after 3 heart surgeries and a ton of daily medication, sewing and quilting are about the limit I have on physical activities. My wife does not like to stay still. She is retired military, works two jobs ( because she loves what she does), runs marathons, works out daily, and spoils me terribly. She loves going shopping with me for quilting supplies, picking out fabric, visiting shows and symposiums. She does not actually quilt though. I have a Grace Z44 Pro hand quilting frame setup as a king size, and a Gracie King frame with a Juki in it. I enjoy all of it. We have a 12 year old who is also a sewer and quilter, but, he also is a straight A student, and golfs on the schools team. He plays classical piano (going on 8 years of lessons so far) and alto saxophone (4 years so far).

Bottom line is... This hubby quilts and has a wonderful wife who whole heartedly supports it and we have a son who is following along the trail too.

Thanks for sharing your space with me here on this site. I enjoy being here.

Steve
AKA Sewing_Hubby
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
I'm married to a model railroader who has a very large room dedicated to his hobby. He appreciates what I do and I return the favor. He does often help with choices - "Which sashing do you like better?" Things like that. Good color sense, and he encourages me to "buy good tools," and he got me my Janome with some money he got when his mom died. He goes to shows and shops, but does tire of it sooner than a QB does. I go to model RR shows and try to be interested. My sewing is spread around in the kitchen and living room, so I do envy his private space, but the best thing is that we both have a "stash" of stuff we may never use, but we rarely criticize each other for it. If only they built quilt shops and RR shops in the same place, or held shows simultaneously in the same town. Maybe it's best to spread them apart though, so we don't go through all the money at once.
You should get your own room, too!