Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hubby got "needled"! >

Hubby got "needled"!

Hubby got "needled"!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Damkina
OMG the poor bloke!! He seemed to recover pretty quick.

I'd love someone to invent the needle with smallest ever tracking device included. Just think of all those lost needles and pins we could find at the touch of a button.

Also, my 'favourite' needle broke clean in half last night and went stabbing right down my thumb nail. Damn painful!!
Luckily I quickly let go of the quilt and moved my hand out of the way before the blood marked the fabric.
I think a tracking device is great, but I just wish they wouldn't make needles that are not picked up by my magnetic wand! I've got these little 1/4" (yep, you read it right) applique pins and if I drop one or loose one in the area I'm sitting around, I can never find them again. They just laugh and mock me when I pull out my magnetic wand so I don't use them anymore. Well, that and I can't seem to grab them because they are so small!

If you get blood on your quilt, suck on it. There is an enzyme in our saliva that will remove our own blood from fabrics. It only works with your own blood and saliva. You can't suck someone else's blood out of fabric. My kids are lucky I didn't know this when they were smaller or whenever they came home with skinned knees I'd have them sucking on the pants to get out the blood! :P :lol:
Old 12-26-2009, 02:44 AM

Tiffany, I never realised applique pins could come so small. I'm going to be doing some more applique this year for a change, so I think I'll look out for these.

Are they easier to sew the small pieces with than with the longer bead-headed pins?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 AM

yes, they are easier to use as there is less length for thread to get caught on. I pin my pieces from the back, that also reduces the chance of thread catching.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
yes, they are easier to use as there is less length for thread to get caught on. I pin my pieces from the back, that also reduces the chance of thread catching.
That is also something I didn't know about... thank you.

I'll definitely be buying these pins in the New Year.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Damkina
Tiffany, I never realised applique pins could come so small. I'm going to be doing some more applique this year for a change, so I think I'll look out for these.

Are they easier to sew the small pieces with than with the longer bead-headed pins?
Brushandneedle is right, they are easier. However, if you have any type of arthritis or if you have fibromyalgia and numb fingertips, they can be a bit hard to handle. And as I said, they aren't magnetic, which can be difficult if you drop one. They can hide in the darndest places!! I once kept scratching at my waist and wondering what the heck was poking at me. I finally managed to pull one of those tiny pins out of my waistband. :roll: Little bugger really gave me a run for my money. Lol. I bought mine when my local guild brought in Linda Jenkins. Here is her site, where she sells these tiny gems. http://www.pieceocake.com/ It should be under notions.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 PM

OUCH!!!!
I initially thought he'd stepped on a stray pin...
He'll forgive you... he likes your productions :D
Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 PM

I stepped on a needle in college when I was making a dress for a party. It was the 70's, so it fell into the requisite shag carpeting, where it found its way into my foot, and then broke. Instead of going to the party, I went to the ER for a few hours to have it removed and hobbled around for several days. That experience combined with having a toddler on my sewing room floor a few years later made me cautious.

Ever since then I count my needles and pins. I like using heavy porcelain ramekins next to my machine. One is for straight pins and the other for my safety pins. I like their deep, straight sides and heaviness which increase the odds of pins staying put. I most often use the long quilting pins with the yellow balls, because they are easy to hold and pin. There are silk pins in the bottom of the ramekin that I use for precise pinning with extra careful counting.

I keep my hand sewing needles in the original cases so I can tell if one is missing. I'm still prone to sticking the one I'm using into my shirt placket while I'm sewing, so seeing an empty slot helps me remember to put it back when I'm done for the day. If needles don't come in that sort of pack, I write down how many are in the little container with a Sharpie.

In my youth I also cut the pad off of one of my fingers with newly sharpened scissors and sewed through another finger with the Featherweight. Who knew sewing was a dangerous sport!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 AM

Oh goodness Elizabeth! You certainly have some war stories to tell! Interesting that you mention putting the needle in use in your shirt placket....I was in the Rochester, NY area over the weekend and did some sewing on the way there. Realized on Sunday when I got home that I had spent the whole holiday weekend with a needle stuck in the placket of my winter jacket! :oops:

Leota, He did forgive me...and her really likes the quilt I gave him for Christmas.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by elizajo
I stepped on a needle in college when I was making a dress for a party. It was the 70's, so it fell into the requisite shag carpeting, where it found its way into my foot, and then broke. Instead of going to the party, I went to the ER for a few hours to have it removed and hobbled around for several days. That experience combined with having a toddler on my sewing room floor a few years later made me cautious.

Ever since then I count my needles and pins. I like using heavy porcelain ramekins next to my machine. One is for straight pins and the other for my safety pins. I like their deep, straight sides and heaviness which increase the odds of pins staying put. I most often use the long quilting pins with the yellow balls, because they are easy to hold and pin. There are silk pins in the bottom of the ramekin that I use for precise pinning with extra careful counting.

I keep my hand sewing needles in the original cases so I can tell if one is missing. I'm still prone to sticking the one I'm using into my shirt placket while I'm sewing, so seeing an empty slot helps me remember to put it back when I'm done for the day. If needles don't come in that sort of pack, I write down how many are in the little container with a Sharpie.

In my youth I also cut the pad off of one of my fingers with newly sharpened scissors and sewed through another finger with the Featherweight. Who knew sewing was a dangerous sport!
It's a good thing you got into sewing and not something like woodworking! ;)
Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by elizajo

Good grief...you've definitely been in the wars with the pins.

Can I just point out a word of warning about sticking them in your clothing... I pinned one in my sweatshirt last year (great idea, but...) and I forgot about it.
Later in the day I pulled my sweatshirt up and over my head from the hem to take it off, and only realised I still had the needle stuck in it when it scratched my face at the side of my eye. :-(

I was lucky it wasn't my eye, so please keep a check on where you're sticking your weaponry! :thumbup: