Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hungarian - can you translate to English? >

Hungarian - can you translate to English?

Hungarian - can you translate to English?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Too bad my MIL isn't still alive. She grew up on Hungary.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:05 PM
MTS
Banned

Downloading a copy of a .pdf is not the same as re-publishing those same words on another site/publication.

Putting the link to the article or instructions in a post - perfectly acceptable.

It's funny because on another IB site (owners of the QB), the moderators are all over that issue- if someone reposts an article from somewhere else, it immediately gets changed to a link. I think it permissible to repost the first few sentences but not the entire content.

And again, I know that in an era when everything is so immediately available it seems that it's there for the taking, it isn't.

(I really didn't mean to highjack your thread. ;-) )
Old 04-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

It's okay to post the translation of any word but not post the whole pattern translated. So the words giving everyone trouble it's okay to post what they mean in English.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:28 PM

I'll make a few contacts.....I think I know someone.

I tried using a different translating program.. still a bit scatchy. I have translator, push come to shove, I can type it in that....
Old 04-10-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Downloading a copy of a .pdf is not the same as re-publishing those same words on another site/publication.

Putting the link to the article or instructions in a post - perfectly acceptable.

It's funny because on another IB site (owners of the QB), the moderators are all over that issue- if someone reposts an article from somewhere else, it immediately gets changed to a link. I think it permissible to repost the first few sentences but not the entire content.

And again, I know that in an era when everything is so immediately available it seems that it's there for the taking, it isn't.

(I really didn't mean to highjack your thread. ;-) )

I'm reading with interest as this topic never ceases to end. But....isn't this a lady just giving out her pattern to anyone who reads her blog? That happens all over in American's blogs? So what would the difference be other than having to translate it into English?

Also MTS, what is the other IB site you are referring to that is owned by QB? TIA :-D
Old 04-10-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
I thought that tutorial had great pictures (they enlarge when clicked) and really demonstrated the technique (sort of like the instructions found in Japanese quilting magazines). ....
I agree. even without translating it I think I could have figured it out because you can pretty much use any size fabric squares you want! Look at the pictures and go with it! Its like learning to read....Look at the pictures and make up a story! lol
Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I think it would be fun to try...
Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Getting responses from Enci (see original post on this topic) She gave me a few words and is going to put up a youtube link.

She's very nice and helpful.
I'm making headway "translating" it, but when you are folding petal 1 to ? join? tuck under? petal 2 where do you sew, or do you? Do you flip petal 2 back over and stitch?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Getting responses from Enci (see original post on this topic) She gave me a few words and is going to put up a youtube link.

She's very nice and helpful.
I'm making headway "translating" it, but when you are folding petal 1 to ? join? tuck under? petal 2 where do you sew, or do you? Do you flip petal 2 back over and stitch?

Hoping your find the directions...looks like a lovely quilt.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Kitsie, you have driven me crazy...have been looking for online translators to help... did find that instead of trying to do the entire webpage it was easier to do it in text sectons...

http://www.translation-guide.com/fre...ian&to=English

I don't know if part of the translation showed up but if it did you will see that not all words are able to be translated and some words that are translated are hard to understand. From what I can understand Hungarian is one of the hardest languages to translate from English.

I tried installing a language translator but couldn't make the darn thing work. I am not that computer savvy but thought it wouldn't be that hard....WRONG!

I tried several translator sites and the only one that helped even a tad bit is the one I listed above.
Also learned you might need to add the hungarian languages tab under regional languages (depending on what system your computer was running) but then was unsure if that would work from hungarian to english.

I am stumped at this point so I'm hoping you're having better success than I did.