Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HURRAYYY!!  Our voice has been heard! >

HURRAYYY!! Our voice has been heard!

HURRAYYY!! Our voice has been heard!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 AM

I live in Essex where is this walmart in Glen Burnie The 2 Walmart in Towson has a nice fabric department it is on the second floor Shelby
Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 AM

I hope they bring the dept. back where I live!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by bobbie1
Our Walmart in Colonial Heights, VA took bolts of fabric out of store. They remodeled and brought in pre-packaged fabric. I totally refuse to buy that. It seems to me that by giving in and buying what they think we need..ie..prepackaged...we are in essence saying "we forgive you" for taking away something that gives us pleasure and buy what you want us to buy. It can sit there and rot. Interesting that no other dept in store got downsized..such as the hunting dept. This is a hot subject with me. Call me petty...I call it not giving in to what they think I need. :?
Not long ago a department manager told me that the attitude of corporate management was that they didn't care what customers wanted. They plan to put in what they want to put in and customers can take it or leave it.

I have written to WalMart and told them I am mostly leaving it, having reduced my spending in the store by more than 75%. The latest news from Wall Street is that WalMart is losing market share to Dollar General and other such stores. Maybe what we ought to do is petition those stores to stock fabric by the bolt. froggyintexas
Reduced market share....this is the ONLY way for consumers to get the attention of big corporations....but remember that those corporations have to see that drop in market share NOT as a temporary fluke, but as an ongoing, serious, downward trend....something that could eventually lead to bankruptcy. So, if you want your fabric depts back, keep sending your emails, petitions, and phone calls....keep making your voice be heard...BUT STOP SPENDING YOUR HARD-EARNED DOLLARS THERE....Like Froggyintexas, reduce your spending at your local Walmarts. Make scouting trips in occasionally to see what's happening with the fabric, but go elsewhere to shop...you may pay a bit more, but there truly is no other way to get the attention of a large corporation than for them to see a significant drop in their market share. In time, they will have to listen...or go the way of Safeway and Kmart and Montgomery Ward. Walmart will continue to dictate to the consumers what the corporate bigwigs think your shopping experience needs to be like as long as YOU continue to spend your money there. Can you imagine what could happen if the Walmart parking lots were suddenly only 1/4 full??? And stayed that way????????

They...the corporate bigwigs....will listen, if you..the consumer....stop purchasing their products. In this free market system, you can only be controlled to spend your money where someone else chooses IF YOU GIVE UP THAT CONTROL.....think about it....

ok..enough of my rant....now off to make Friendship Album blocks..72 of them before next Saturday!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Yeah for Dollar General and Family Dollar, but don't think we will get fabric there. I don't shop Walmart like I used to. No need to. I just go to my local Dollar store and get what I need now. Limited selection, but spend less money as well. I'll probably go back to Sav-A-Lot for my groceries and forget Walmart as well. They forget me and my fellow quilters even though we have poured on the appeals to them to keep the fabric department. I don't like their fat quarters and won't buy the 2 yard packages. Not for me!!!! Keep up the pressure to keep fabric and remind them of what has happened to other stores who forgot their main shopping base - women!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM

I complained with they first took it out of my walmart, it's been gone probably 3 yrs now. Basically fabric was the only reason I went. I could get a yard or 5 along with my other things and dh wouldn't know that I'd added to my stash. I told them then that they had lost a very good customer because I was spending several $100 a month. I think I've only been to WM a few times since.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 PM

Congratulations.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 AM

Patticriss I sure hope you were told the truth about the Yukon Store. That is where I live and the cashier told me that they were not getting the fabric back in the Store with the remodel they are now doing. She said that they had really been complained to about no fabric but Corporate decided not to have it in Yukon. Is there fabric anywhere in the Okla City Stores? I've not shopped at any of them because if I had to go into the City, I figure I might as well shop at JoAnn's, Hancocks or the LQS. I would buy from a WalMart but I thought all of them had removed their fabric depts. Let me know please if you know of any in the City with fabric please.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by stotty
I live in Essex where is this walmart in Glen Burnie The 2 Walmart in Towson has a nice fabric department it is on the second floor Shelby
The one in Glen Burnie is on Ordance Rd, off of Ritchie Hwy. That is a larger dept than the one on Quarterfield Rd. You can get to Quarterfield Rd from 97. They both have fabric. You could probably google it for directions.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by newbiequilter
Originally Posted by susanwilley
She also said something about packaged fabric. 2 yards bagged and hanging on racks in some of the stores. She said they had complaints about that too. It wouldn't be good for someone who needs more than 2 yards that isn't pieced together but it would work ok for us quilters. Maybe they will bring back fabric to the ones closed.
I would be a little leery of prepackaged fabric - I have seen same at JoAnn's and it is very low quality fabric. I don't like to buy it if I can't feel it.

I know what you mean, I like to feel the fabric too. I can see me tearing open thier pre-packaged packs now. LOL
Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Well, I just retired from a WalMart that still carries bolt fabric. The department as of Jan. 2010 has the same dept. mngr as lawn & garden. That's why there is hardly ever any one to cut fabric. The depts. are on opposite ends of the store. The reason WalMart had gotten rid of some of the fabric depts. is that when fabric is shipped in from the mills, they have to accept whatever the end of the bolt yardage is. Most times the bolts are shorted 1/4 - 1/2 yard each bolt. Times that by all the Walmarts that sell fabric & it adds up. I don't like that they are taking out yardage bolts & the precut is crap. It isn't fair that the mills would do that just because it's WalMart. They don't do it to LQS or Joanns.
I will still buy most of my fabric at my WalMart that sells by the yard. I really like the new prints & lines that they have gotten in for spring.