Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HURRAYYY!!  Our voice has been heard! >

HURRAYYY!! Our voice has been heard!

HURRAYYY!! Our voice has been heard!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 AM

lucky you. Our superwalmart here just opened late last year, and they did not have any fabric.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM

Our Walmart has the pre-packaged fabric. Don't like it, and it appears to me that it doesn't sell very well. I know a lady at this Walmart who used to work in the fabric area, she said to keep complaining! She told her boss if they bring back the fabric, she wants to be back at it, cutting fabric! Now she has to work wherever they decide they need her in the store.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:59 AM

(Tried to send this earlier this morning when the board winked out on me.)

This is the reply I got from the on-line complaint I sent on Monday:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local store. As with any merchandise decision that we make, we have based our decision to reduce the stitching and fabric departments on customer demand, which does not appear to be as high today for a full stitching and fabric offering in some markets as it may have been at Walmart in the past.

In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.

In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed, merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be included in the product offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc. As a part of this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores that opened earlier this year, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts and celebrations center in place of bolt fabrics. Walmart will continue to carry cut fabric in most of our stores. Due to the continued evaluation of our stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care

So be it - we need to keep screaming, on line, and via e-mail and their web site. Some of us keep it, some of us have to travel. Life's Celebration my stinky arm pit. It's the party aisle with a new name. I was not impressed.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 AM

[quote=mudose8]Our Walmart has the pre-packaged fabric. Don't like it, and it appears to me that it doesn't sell very well.

same here. that cut fabric just doesn't "cut" it. bolt fabric is the thing we want and it doesn't look like it will be back anytime soon. oh, well.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
Walmart is keeping their fabric depts!! yipppeee! This is what the sales lady in the fabric dept here in Glen Burnie told me today. They are changing this store into another Super Walmart and they are keeping their fabric. She didn't know if the ones already closed would be getting them back. But, it seems they will not be closing any more fabric depts. From what she told me Walmart has been getting petitions, phone calls and emails to keep fabric in their stores. Hopefully she knows what she's talking about.
MY store still has fabric, but it is all precut and packaged. The quality is lousy. I bought a piece because of the color for a specific project. Needed just the right color for a bag I was making. It was called quilting cotton, felt more like poplin when I got it home. Since it was just for a bag lining the quality wasn't so important, but I would never use it again.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM

YEAH!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks. Here we go. Consumer discrimination,
Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 PM

our WaLMart stopped selling any fabric that required a clerk to cut it and has now stocked packaged 2 yard cuts for 7.97 each...not really a practical length of fabric in my opinion and the clerk there says it is not selling at all. Wish they'd bring back the stuff on the bolts, so if all I need is half of a yard, I can get it...not have buy 2 whole yards..
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM

<This really presses my button. WallyWorld came in strong in these little towns, ran out all the Moms/Pops.....Then they want to close the fabric areas....now people are forced to go elseware for fabric. >

I couldn't agree more. I was a regular there & voiced my concern to the dept., the store managers (2 loc closest to me), & called the 800# at the time. After killing most of our LQS's, they downsized not just fabric, but ALL tall clothes. Since my family of 5 are all in tall sizes... can't go for clothes or fabric, so no point in shopping there for anything. I think I was even more irritated that they took out most of the better housewares items (cooking section) & basic sewing needs- like scissors selection, thread, & quilting notions(crafts/sewing). I had to go to Michael's for what THEY had, which has been considerably scaled back in the sewing notions as well.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Colorful Quilter
Ours is still carrying fabric and keep adding new lines, our trouble is finding somebody that works in the dept.
ditto! the last time I went in late evening, couldn't get anyone to come and cut the fabric. I cut my own wrote down the number on bolt and yardage, and took it to the cash register. I was surprised that they let me buy it.t she rung it up for me and apologized that no one could help me. Thanks to the check out girl.