Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 PM

Yes, I got my feelings hurt. :roll: It was a remark that my SIL made. Bless her heart, she's pretty clueless, and I should consider the source, but it still upset me.

I was starting on a quilt for my mother. My SIL had come over to visit, and asked me what I was working on. So I told her. She then said to my dh, "At least she saves you money by making gifts!"

I didn't say a word. But what I wanted to say was....do you have any idea how much fabric costs nowadays? Not to mention all the time and effort that goes into this? I know you can trot on down to Bed Bath & Beyond and buy a comforter set on sale, yes I understand that. But for the money that a lot of quilts have in them (not counting our "labor")...we could go out and buy something in five minutes.

I guess it hurt me more because she didn't even consider the fact that I'm making this as a gift....something that I've made myself. My dh told me not to worry about it, that she takes after his mother and blurts out things without even thinking.

I know all this, but it still bugs me. :lol:
Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 PM

You are right, she's clueless. I started keeping a journal a couple of years ago for various projects i work on; it never ceases to amaze me how much time I put into somethings. Keep up the awesome work!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:31 PM

It's so odd that she doesn't get the specialness of the gift of a handmade quilt. Most 'civilians' are blown away by the skill and work involved. Oh well, maybe she's jealous that she isn't capable of doing something so fine!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:31 PM

A lot of people feel that minimizing others somehow elevates themselves. Sadly, your SIL appears to be one of those. So sorry you experienced her like that.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 PM

"You are right, she's clueless."

Worse, there is no way on this planet in any known language to help her understand.

Write down what you spend on fabrics for one quilt, then add on shopping time, planning time and time spent for making the quilt @ at least $15 an hour.

Write Dear SIL, at the top and Pam1966 at the bottom. Admire it for a few minutes.
Rip it up and trash it.

You'll feel better!

Jois
Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 PM

She doesn' consider it as special gift handmade quilt. Most who around me think I made is ''silly"work and can find it in the market :roll: and it will make me bad eyes :shock: Oh tell me about it.
Jealous that they not capable of doing something like u is :x
It hurts u yes but it will bush u forword
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 PM

I would be mad too. I have bought fabric for 3 quilts to give as Christmas gifts this year. I usually spend about $50 per person for gifts but these are going to cost me way more than that! I bought quality fabric, thread, etc because I want my hard work to last.

Best revenge? Never, ever, give her something you hand-crafted. It would not be appreciated and you can use your valuable time and talent to create something for someone that would cherish the love you put into it.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 PM

there are jokes made at my expence due to my quilting and my sil was the worst but about a month ago she asked me to put one together for her she had embroidered some squares and ask a lady she worked with to make her a quilt with the blocks she had embroidered. well two years later there not done sil comes over and was looking at my newest work and being that i sold one to a man for 200.00 she ask me to make it for her, well i told her if she would embroider some blocks for me i would make the quilt for her and it was done in less that 2 wks she was very happy with it she shows it every one
and she has stopped with the jokes

it took 4 years for her to ask me to make something for her but it felt good to see the results. i earned a little respect now i will be to busy to help her out again.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:27 AM

Let me ask something, if you were a dentist and knew your Mother in Law needed a bridge, you gave her the gift of prep, etc. of a bridge for a gift. That would be a valuable gift wouldn't it?

That is something everyone can relate to value. Quilts, and sewing are often thought of as someting inexpensive-that we just whipped up! Unless the reciever understands the value of a handmade gift, they won't truly appreciate it. If your SIL is like your MIL you may want to re-think your gift. If you think you may get the same kind of reception from your MIL, you may want to wait, until she has a clue! Take them to a quilt festival, or a quilt museum.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:39 AM

One niece has two quilts, the other one has one. They are sisters. The first one has used both of hers and never fails to thank me again for them when I see her. One quilt was given almost 15 years ago as a graduation gift and the other one as a Wedding gift. Sister #2 never said anything about the one she got. Thats why she only has one. My Ml has two that she uses as bedspreads because they are "to beautiful" to cover up. Some people "get it" and some don't. Those who don't get it don't get quilts again.